Custom Explorer Chassis | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Explorer Chassis

Heres my buddy John and I cleaning up at Dropt N Destroyed 6 with the chassis out front.

dsc05836.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uploaded some more pics. We decided to change the valves, rather than cluttering things up with the SMC valves we were going to use the owner decided to upgrade to an ASCO polished billet manifold. These things are really nice! Also cut, formed and welded the bag gussets in place, I would have got the other side done but I ran out of cut off wheels for cutting out the gussets.

normal_IMG00047-20091202-2028.jpg

normal_IMG00049-20091203-1647.jpg

normal_IMG00050-20091203-1718.jpg

normal_IMG00051-20091203-1718.jpg

I finally had time to upload some more of the pics.

Rear bag brackets metal finished.
normal_IMG00074-20091215-1342.jpg

normal_IMG00076-20091218-1454.jpg

fuel cell mounts bolts in from bottom and has other supports that go underneath the cell.

normal_IMG00096-20100104-1920.jpg

ASCO valve manifold with fittings and dakota digital 400 psi gauge sendiing units
normal_IMG00098-20100106-1121.jpg

Loaded up waiting on the transport company to meet up and take it back to indy for the final work, powder coating and final instalation.
normal_IMG00100-20100106-1504.jpg

normal_IMG00101-20100106-1504.jpg

Well after the first transport company never showed up we hired a second company that picked up and delivered the chassis to the motor shop yesterday. So any new updates will have to come through the next shops in line to do work or if the owner sends me anymore pics to upload. Thanks to everybody who has followed the build this far.

Congratulations, that is very good work.

I'd like to find a way to fit a Watt's link to the back of my Mountaineer. That would help the handling and likelihood to roll I think.

A watts link is a locating device most commonly used with a parallel 4 link setup. It is used to keep the axle centered between the wheel weels and stop lateral movement of the axle. Body roll and handling are effected by the use of sway bars, spring lengths and shock valving.

On a side note my company just received an article in Mini Truckin Magazine!

slammed..I would love it if you could help me out. seems like you really know what your doing and i wanted to put an air suspension on my 96 xlt 2wd 4wd selectable. I'm 18 so moneys a little tight any suggestions? also keeping in mind any other ways to lower it.

Well quality reliable parts are going to run at least $1500 just to get it on air with a basic setup. If you want to get it to lay frame which is way more involved your going to be looking at at over $2000 and thats not including labor which most shops are going to charge a minimum of $3000 for an explorer to lay it out on the frame if not more. You really should start off with a 2wd to lay frame.

I really dont care for street trucks much but that chassis with the Heidts rear end is sick!

Hey Slammed, beautiful work :thumbsup: If you don't mind me asking, how much did the labor cost on such an extensive build?

Wish I was closer to your shop, there aren't any chassis fab companies here in Eastern PA at all- let alone decent ones!

Thanks, actually as of right now I'm not really taking on anymore installs for the time being. I'm mainly just focusting on my core business which is new part r&d and production. And I want to start putting some time back into my own trucks this year and finally have something to drive that actually drags. Not to mention I need a bigger shop again lol. But who knows things change all the time. I'm about 2 hours or so from the Oh Pa line about 45 min west of Cleveland.

As for labor on the job I'm not really even sure what it ended up coming out to be because so many things were changed and it was partially sponsored to help get my name out.

Too far from me, unfortunately :( I have some parts you could R&D... lowered control arms for 2nd gen Explorers!!!! Lol

Too far from me, unfortunately :( I have some parts you could R&D... lowered control arms for 2nd gen Explorers!!!! Lol

dooooooooooooooo it!

You noticed that also? I've thought of making a modified spindle to move the ball joints down, but with longer UCA/LCA/axles.

The only thing I have considered is making an upper arm similar to my 2wd ranger arms because it can be used on the explorers and ranger edges. But I have a few other projects lined up first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another thread I have no idea how I missed. You have some very very serious skills. Amazed, Awed, etc. Subscribing--Awesome Work!!!!!

Back