Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper

anybody tried white gauges yet? This is a new must do for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem with making white gauges this way is that the lettering is white...so you wouldn't see the letters on a white background. If you knew your Photoshop you could put an outline of a different color around everything to make it stand out which may not look good. Otherwise it won't work

I will start by saying this: I am not familiar with photoshop at all. But there isnt any way to make the letters blue or black instead of white?

Well not sure if anyone has thought of this but cant you go down to any craft store and get the transpernt plasic in any color you want and just paste the gagues you made on it and you have you own color back light for the gauges... just a thought

I think the best way to do it would be to use a color laser jet printer and print the numbers and dummy lights in whatever color or pattern you want with a black background onto a transparent paper (The same plastic paper use for over-head projectors). Then print the numbers and dummy lights using the same color/pattern that you used on the transparent paper, but use the graphics of your choice for the background.

Now here is the problem, in order for this to work you have to completely remove the original gauges, because that is where the factory colors are coming from. This means pulling the needles, which we all know is a real PITA. However with the factory gauges removed with would allow the clear bulbs in the instrument cluster to shine uninterrupted through the custom gauges. This would make custom colors visible at night and during the day.

**EDIT**

I just got some "3M Transparency File for HP Color Ink Jet Printers" from my office supply closet. I'm going to try printing some gauges this weekend. I'll let you guy/gals know how they turn out.

Did anyone ever get gauges scanned for early x's? I have a 94 and I have some white face gauges sitting here I could scan if that helps. Im just not sure what you guys need. Also, hopefully I will have my oringinal guages out in a week or so if thats what you need.

nick

sweet :D

yeah, if ya guys want them scanned, let me know what you want and how you want it. (I wish I heard that more often).

nick

I Need some help here!!!!

I want to add something like this to my 93 X. I don't have the ability to create this myself. I will pay for the service!!

I want to do something like cat and tiger, but with moose, grizzly and northern lights. Or dog sled and northern lights.

Let me know. kurt@rogershsa.com

scanned image of guages

Does anyone have a image of scaned stock gauges?If so could you post a link to them..or send me an email.Thanks.
Mike

I second this request.

Do you guys need the raw ones straight from a scanner or completed ones done through photoshop? I just finished up mine and am going to a copy center to print them out on a color laser printer today.

Harry

Harry5150, I lookat at your Yahoo page, and your gauges look different than mine. Could I get a copy of the "raw ones straight from a scanner" so that I can compare. Thanks

Harry, I think you have what we need. The scanned images of the stock guages are what I need to make my own custom faces. I believe the 95-97 guages are different than the 98+ guages, which is why we can't use Bigtig's he posted a while back. If you can email them to me or post them, that would be fine.

Could you send me a completed copy please. :)

Harry,
I was wanting the raw ones straight from a scanner but completed ones done through photoshop would be a nice way to get some ideas.
Thanks
Mike

I beleve the difference in the gauges is that the 95-97 (which I have) has the "Fuel Reset" dummy light at the top and the "Door Ajar" to the left of the temp gauge. The 98+ has the two dummy lights mentioned above reversed and it has "<- Fuel Door" on the gauge face.

I have the 2 raw scans that I used available. One is actually a 95-97 Canadian version that I combined with a 98+ version to get the final one.

The photoshop file I created has all the layers but I didn't color the "4WD HI" and "4WD LOW" because mine's 2WD. If someone lets me know what color they are I can color them before I upload them.

I also changed the factory "Check Gage" dummy light to "Check Gauge". It just looked stupid to me. Anyway I can correct that back to factory if you guy's want before I upload them along with the "120" on the speedo and the "E" on the gas gauge.

Here's after a half hour using Kinko's slow-ass color laser printers.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

I made 2 background sheets (one solid & one on transparancy becasue I wasn't sure how bright it would be at night with the dash lights.

Let me know guys on the corrections before I upload and post the link.

Harry

Send it as is Harry! GREAT JOB by the way!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good to me.Post it....
Mike

Back