Custom Made Shackles?

GotMud?

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hey all,
I Have a 99 Sport 2 door with the monoleaf. I wanted to do a small lift just for the look of clearance. I want to do the 2" TT and Shackles. Now my rear end on my ex sags about an inch due to the monoleaf. I looked at warrior 153's and there only an 1 1/4 inch lift? so im thinking thats gonna just level out the back and then with to TT my front will be higher than the back once again. So then i thought whats stopping me from having a shop make me some custom shackles for a 3" lift? the only thread i could find related to this was someone that got a custom set made and got 4" of lift! i just wanted to ask because something in the back of my head is saying that if warrior only offers an 1 1/4 inch lift, maybe theres a reason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stock shackles are 5.5" long. To get 3" of lift you need another 6".. That would mean you would have an 11.5" long shackle. Thats quite a bit of stress to put on that. Also, that much of a shackle will change the rear pinion angle while may cause other issus (like vibrations).

~Mark

great solution: replace your saggy nasty monoleafs with a leaf pack from a 4 door ex. I got a set from a V8 explorer (stiffest I could find) and it alone lifted an inch or so. that combined with WAR-153 length shackles should net you the small lift you're after. the ride WILL be stiffer than the monoleafs, but I personally think it rides more stable. on top of that, your towing capacity is greatly increased.

in payment of my clearly amazing advise, I require before and after pictures. :p:

Alright. Well i think thats what ill do. Ill price out the diff. between new and used leafs tomorrow and then order up some warrior 153's. Ill post some pics as soon as im done. thanks

I pulled my leaf packs from a pick-a-part. try to find one with the lowest miles on it. they charged me $60 I believe, and that's too much IMO.

If you want to avoid the driver sag problems try to get two passenger side leaf packs.

If you want to avoid the driver sag problems try to get two passenger side leaf packs.

Driver's side sag? Care to explain? This is the first I heard of it. I am looking to do this swap soon.

Driver's side sag? Care to explain? This is the first I heard of it. I am looking to do this swap soon.

Most RBV's have drivers side sag do to the gas tank being on that side most I have seen have at least 1/2" sag or more.

Well thanks for the info guys. I just bought a set of 4 pack springs. Cost me $40 delivered right to me. Tried ordering some warrior 153's but there on back order with no date of availability, but i seen that summit racing has a set of universal ones probley similar to the autozone ones but im in canada so those arent available too me. I can order from summit for $26 so ima install these untill warriors are available. Thinking of using the summit ones for a 2" shackle lift? anybody think thats a bit too much or should it be ok??

Back