Yomie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
OK, i just noticed a leak on my Driveway. :(

It appears to be leaking where my Drivers side CV goes into the Diffy. Had anyone encountered this? If so what is involved in changing this. Is there a seal that goes in there when the CV is placed into the diffy? Please Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes there is a seal in the diff where the driveshaft enters. A fairly straight forward job just remove the driveshaft, lever out the old seal and tap in the new making sure that its square and replace the shaft. Don't forget to top up the diff with oil.

Yomie, i've got the same problem. Looks like a pretty easy job like Howard said. But instead of removing the driveshaft, i think he meant the CV shaft. Let us know how this goes, i might end up trying mine this week, so we'll see.

Happy trails!!

The driver side is the easy side. The passenger side is a ***** you have to remove the diff and take it apart as I was told from several people on this page.
Kurt

OK the leak started Saturday night i assume... it left about a drop on the drive sun morn, there was nothing there this morning, but when i went out to the truck at lunch today to check there was a FRIGGIN Lake under my truck :eek: its pretty bad, you can see the drops form right there between the diff and CV this is horrible, since the 33's i have had nothing but probs. this will be my 3rd axle seal (other 2 were in the rear)since the 33's (i'm not blaming it on the 33's) new evap canister, wheel bearings (that were only 20k miles old) i could go on for days.......i'm thinking the 33's may be coming off soon :(

Sounds like the inner cv joint shaft has worn and is not sealing with new seal check for any grooves and replace the joint as well as the seal and that should be the end of probs. Don't loose the 33's having gone to all the trouble it's not them just wear and tear.

Yeah the new shaft is only gonna be $59.99 so thats not bad at all, i just don't have time anymore to work on the truck myself, so i'm going to have to bring it to a shop, maybe even the ford dealer, i live in a tiny town just outside of FOrt Knox and there is NOTHING here in terms of tanny shops or specialized shops.

Hey howard i just noticed your in the Buckingham, England, UK area, nice i grew up in europe, i was in Keflavik, Island (Iceland) for 3 years and in Lakenheath (sp) for about 3 years up untill i was 16! Man there is so much beautiful areas around London! Just Amazing sites!

Thanks I've not been to your neck of the woods but done disney fl and loved it (usual thing kids an all). Got scared sh**ts on some of the rides but loved the climate and all that space wow. I guess theres no place like home though. Hope it all goes ok I know the feeling with time it just flies by (still got some garden lights to put in been three years now!).

Originally posted by Howard
Thanks I've not been to your neck of the woods but done disney fl and loved it (usual thing kids an all). Got scared sh**ts on some of the rides but loved the climate and all that space wow.

I was actually born in FL so you have been in my neck of the woods! lol. I'm in Louisville, KY now cause i'm in the ARMY

As they say it's a small world. Whilst I was growing up we lived in 19 different countries from New Zealand to Nigeria to Celyon (Shrilanka) etc. But I love my home. All the best to you and hope the current crisis passes ok( Iraq).

Back