1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

CyBer's CB Lingo Thread

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by cybergasm, August 11, 2008.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    Ever been heading to/from the trails and you turn on your CB Radio to 19 to listen to the Truckers and wondered what the heck there were talking about?

Well here your chance to get "CB Trucker Talk" deciphered by me or other members of the board. And also try to answer questions about CB radio ettiitque is such a thing still exists these lol:D

SO feel free to shoot away with the questions and me or somebody else will try to our best to answer them.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Germantown, MD
    1998 Ford Explorer
    10-4 <-- why those numbers? Why not 11-3? or 7-11?

4. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    as Originally posted by Donner

the other day, a fella asked what's my 20... I told him I'm new, I don't know what that means... (I think it means location, no?)

Another guy said he hit a cow... he was cursin'

(The only way to learn cb lingo is to use and listen to it. On occasion, I just sit way up here and listen, talk, etc... it helps)

Yes when someone ask you where your "20" is they are asking you for your general location. never give em an exact location or you may get an surprise and maybe unwanted visit :eek:

LOL would'nt be the first time a trucker has hit a cow even tho i am sure he was alittle upset about it. But one thing you will learn that is Truckers like to whine alot and they usually do it on the CB of all places.

The best way to learn is to do but you have to be careful tho since some phrases that were in vogue in the 70's are not now!
    Like "Good Buddy" these days it means you are ummmm Gay and looking for a mate. And most likely half the truckers who hear it are gonna track you down and put a world of hurtin' on ya if you get my meaning.:eek:

5. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    Ah yes gotta love the internet.........
    Ten-codes were developed in the 1940s at a time when police radio channels were limited, to reduce use of speech on the radio. Credit to the originator goes to Charles "Charlie" Hopper. He was the Communications Director at the Illinois State Police, District 10, located in Urbana, Illinois. Hopper was involved in radio for many years and saw a need to abbreviate radio transmissions on State Police bands.[3] Experienced radio operators know that the first syllable of a transmission is frequently not going to be understood, but is a necessary part of "tuning in"; hence preceding every code with "ten" allows a better chance of understanding the critical portion. Ten-codes were later adapted for use by CB radio enthusiasts before its pop culture explosion in the late 1970s. The tremendous popularity of the 1975 Convoy song by C.W. McCall depicting droll conversation among CB-communicating truckers put several phrases, such as 10-4 for "understood" and what's your twenty? (10-20) for "where are you?" into common and enduring use in American English. The song was followed by a 1978 movie Convoy which further entrenched the use of ten-codes in casual conversation.

and to add to this the 10-codes are kinda losing there steam these days since there so many meanings to some codes that some agencies like the California Highway Patrol are now using 11-codes and other agencies are starting to use 8-codes or whatever suits them.

6. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    When ever you here almost any CB talk in LA area, it's always in a different language:rolleyes:

7. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Wow! Definitely a necessity... thank you Cyber! Normally Spanish is on channel 5, but increasingly on 19 and 9 around this area - 9, sheesh. Sometimes there is no chatter in deep South OC because of multiple languages being used.

8. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    Don't forget about the other phrases that show up:

Pickle Park = Rest Area
    Chicken Coop = Weigh Station (which can be all locked-up or weighin' yer' wagon, checkin' yer' ground-pressure, etc)
    Lot Lizard = a 'lady of the night' (If you don't know what that is, you're too young to need to know!)
    Bob-Tail or Steer = a tractor without a trailer
    Dead-head = heading back to the 'yard' or home without a load and/or trailer
    Smokey/Bear/Sooper Trooper = a cop
    Plain Brown Wrapper = Unmarked police vehicle, but could be any color nowadays
    Snake in the grass = Cop hiding in the weeds out of sight
    Evil Knievel = A motorcycle officer
    Yard Stick = mile marker or exit number

Here's a pretty decent list of the ten-codes:

10-1 = Receiving poorly
    10-2 = Receiving well
    10-3 = Stop transmitting
    10-4 = Message received
    10-5 = Relay message to _____
    10-6 = Busy, please stand by
    10-7 = Out of service, leaving the air
    10-8 = In service, subject to call
    10-9 = Repeat message
    10-10 = Transmission completed, standing by
    10-11 = Talking too rapidly
    10-12 = Visitors present
    10-13 = Advise Weather/Road conditions
    10-16 = Make pick up at _____
    10-17 = Urgent business
    10-18 = Anything for us?
    10-19 = Nothing for you, return to base
    10-20 = My location is _____
    10-21 = Call by telephone
    10-22 = Report in person to
    10-23 = Stand by
    10-24 = Completed last assignment
    10-25 = Can you contact _____
    10-26 = Disregard last information
    10-27 = I am moving to channel _____
    10-28 = Identify your station
    10-29 = Time is up for contact
    10-30 = Does not conform to FCC rules
    10-32 = I will give you a radio check
    10-33 = Emergency Traffic
    10-34 = Trouble at this station
    10-35 = Confidential information
    10-36 = Correct time is
    10-37 = Wrecker needed at
    10-38 = Ambulance needed at
    10-39 = Your message delivered
    10-41 = Please turn to channel
    10-42 = Traffic accident at
    10-43 = Traffic tie up at
    10-44 = I have a message for you
    10-45 = All units within range please report
    10-50 = Break channel
    10-60 = What is next message number?
    10-62 = Unable to copy, use phone
    10-63 = Net directed to
    10-64 = Net clear
    10-65 = Awaiting your next message/assignment
    10-67 = All units comply
    10-70 = Fire at _____
    10-71 = Proceed with transmission in sequence
    10-77 = Negative contact
    10-81 = Reserve hotel room for ______
    10-82 = Reserve room for _____
    10-84 = My telephone number is ______
    10-85 = My address is _____
    10-91 = Talk closer to the microphone
    10-93 = Check my frequency on this channel
    10-94 = Please give me a long count (1-10)
    10-99 = Mission completed, all units secure
    10-200 = Police needed at _____

In my experience, the only ones used any more are 10-4 (acknowledge message received), 10-36 (time check) and very rarely a 10-42 (Accident at ........). CB use is very informal since it's been de-regulated back in the 80s. It's got its good days and its bad days.... some of the smartest people I've ever had a conversation with are truckers, and I've also had conversations with some of the dumbest truckers in the world. You get all types on the airways... you'd be surprised!

I've been using them since I was old enough to drive... I still have my first radio: An ancient Uniden 23-channel from my grandfather. I currently use a Uniden PC76XLW, but it's about 15 years old now, so it's about time for an upgrade... It's got a couple issues with the weather system on it...

-Joe

9. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    And to think back in the 70's i had a notebook that had all the codes printed on it legit one and not legit ones :D

Lets not get all nostalgic now or i might to break out my Cobra single side band radio circa 1977! or maybe the Kraco 23 ch base :eek:

but to add to what Joe posted above yes you rarely hear 10-42 since most truck drivers refer to accidents as 33 's these days.

10. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    It's a 10-33 if the emergency vehicle is moving through traffic. It becomes a 10-42 when they's on the shoulder at the accident scene.

Of course, nowadays, they just say there's a bear with a customer at XXX yardstick, or there's a smokey handin' out driving awards... I don't think anyone really cares what they're doing there, just where they are.

-Joe

11. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Incredible! They call the CHP red lights or any cop (in this area). If you look like a cop, red light. What would you do if law enforcement chimes in (and they have)? They would not ask for your name, correct?

12. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    Don't me about it tell every truck driver in the country that there getting it wrong! But like you stated above we don't care what the bears are doing we just need to know where there at so we can slow down to avoid those high speed driving awards. And lord knows i have been the recipient of two many of those over the last 10 years.:eek:

Also calling out cops can work in reverse too. since i have had heard stories about cops calling out truck drivers. And then telling them to slow it down or they'll get a ticket:D and yes this has happened to me in the past too.

Hmmm that's a new one on me i know in some parts of the country where the state/local police run the blue lights there called blue light specials.

If you are talking about chiming in on the cb radio? then no they would not ask you for your over the radio. if someone is then it someone faking being a cop then.

13. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Range?? I was on the 5 at Crown Valley, and I heard a guy yell on the radio, "Your rig's on fire!!" Someone else said, "Holy sh##!!) So, I look at the CHP just now and see this - Incident:

1474 Type: Vehicle Fire Location: WB I210 JWO N SANTA ANITA AV ThomasBrothers: 567 4B info as of: 10/29/2008 1:13:34 PM
    ADDITIONAL DETAILS
    12:50PM RS SEMI ON FIRE - FD 97

And this - Incident: 1439 Type: Vehicle Fire Location: WB I210 AT N SANTA ANITA AV ThomasBrothers: 567 4B info as of: 10/29/2008 1:16:13 PM
    ADDITIONAL DETAILS
    1:08PM 1039 MEDIA
    1:05PM PLS ISSUE SIGALERT FOR NB SANTA ANITA ON TO WB 210 #4 LN CLOSED FOR UNK DURATION
    12:56PM ARCADIA FD 97 - REQ SANTA ANITA ONR SHUT DOWN
    12:55PM ADDITONAL UNIT FOR 1184 BOTH RAMPS AT SANTA ANITA NEED TO BE CLOSED
    12:49PM .K/1467D1029.D/BIG RIG ON FIRE ON RS
    12:44PM CORRECTION THIS IS THE 210 FWY 1039 ARCADIA FD
    12:43PM THIS IS VIKING DEMOLITION TRK - SOMETHING ON THE BED OF HIS TRUCK IS ON RS
    12:42PM 1039 LACOFD
    12:42PM TRK ON FIRE RS
    RESPONDING OFFICERS STATUS
    12:54PM CHP Unit On Scene
    1:18PM CHP Unit On Scene

Whoa. I don't know if the driver was injured, but someone was yelling into the mic.. aaaaaaaaah!

14. cybergasm

cybergasm B

City, State:
    Humboldt Ks
    1997 Mountaineer 5.0
    Don't be surprised by the range since most Truckers spend ridiculous amounts of moneys on there CB radios. Officially CB's are supposed to be good for a couple miles maybe a little more maybe a little less depending on atmospheric conditions.

But Truckers like to boost up there radios to increase the power there transmitting power and of course claim they have the baddest set up around.

15. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    That's a good distance! So what is a 2 meter radio? Is it legal?

16. datbaddwagon

datbaddwagon B

City, State:
    nyc, queens
    94 EB
    hey you forgot my favorite 10- code

10-100 need a bathroom

17. rickcdewitt

rickcdewitt Active Member

City, State:
    yorkville,ca
    91ranger4x4
    i've had truckers save my bacon by calling out a chp doing speed traps a few miles ahead.when i'm thinking about it i'll call out smokies direction and location,but i do wonder how much attention that draws to me?

18. Boomer12

Boomer12 Active Member

City, State:
    Hesperia, Ca.
    '11 Raptor Screw
    CB's operate in the 10 meter band, and each channel is in fact a designated radio frequency.

2 meter's are sometimes favored by ham operators since in stock form they transmit with more power, and are able to use repeaters to talk further (duplex vs simplex). They are not necessarily illegal, but you must have a license to operate them.

The biggest thing about 2 meter is that a lot of public safety agencies (ie. Fire Dept.) still use them, and it can be very illegal to transmit on any of those frequencies.

19. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    Ah, thank you! I have a neighbor and his "friend" is trying to sell him one. I told him it sounds like something to avoid. Good... thanks!

20. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Fresno CA
    86 ranger no more
    Callsign:
    KK6TDL
    I always liked listening to the guy preaching it up on the radio. They would give any televangilist a run for their money.

21. Donner

Donner Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Natomas/Irvine
    01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
    There's a purv in Irvine/Tustin... disgusting. He just attacks verbally the truckers... he's a sick one.