• Register Today It's free!

d35 traclok

feksrocks

Reaction score
City, State
utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
Hi I'm fairly new to explorer scene but a friend of mine has a traclok that was on his Cherokee rear end and recently upgraded to a full locker will his traclok work in my front end and how hard will it b to install

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cherokee front end is a dana 30 solid axle, the ttb dana 35 is different, more similar to a dana 44 than a 30, i ighly doubt the jeep LS gears etc would fit in the explorer front end.

The rear d35 ls from a jeep will fit the front of the explorer d35..do a search, couple of threads on here.im not sure 100% on the models tho

RangerX had one and I bought it from him.. So, now I have a Jeep d35 trac-lok in the front of our X.

I can say this though.. Since the stock (open) carrier uses a roll pin type thing to hold in the cross shaft pin. The LS uses a bolt...

DON'T FORGET TO INSTALL THE CROSS SHAFT LOCK BOLT!

The people that installed that LS into RangerX's Ranger and myself both forgot that..

6248755396_06f0df211a.jpg
Dana 35 trac lok damage-2 by maniak_az, on Flickr

6248233267_85792ef1f5.jpg
Dana 35 trac lok damage-1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

Lucky I just needed a new cross pin but paid more for overnight shipping than I did for the pin/bolt.

It wasn't "that bad" to install but getting everything back in and meshed together was a 2 person job..

~Mark

Edit: I found a post I made with p/n's when I was trying to find a new cross pin. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2829137&postcount=17

RangerX had one and I bought it from him.. So, now I have a Jeep d35 trac-lok in the front of our X..

Wait, what? It was in my Ranger's front axle, and I did buy it new, and it was listed as a D35 TracLok, so how does that make it a jeep part?? :scratch:

Wait, what? It was in my Ranger's front axle, and I did buy it new, and it was listed as a D35 TracLok, so how does that make it a jeep part?? :scratch:

Well, its a 73630X which when I looked it up had Jeep listed most of the time. Other times it just said Dana 35, 3.55 & up..

~Mark

Im pretty sure my aussie was listed as jeep rear d35 and ford front d35 also

Thx guys for Ur response I'll have to remember the lock bolt

Well, its a 73630X which when I looked it up had Jeep listed most of the time. Other times it just said Dana 35, 3.55 & up..

~Mark

Bingo 3.55 and up...

Hey guys, this is a few months old, but I'm also thinking of throwing a Jeep TracLok in the TTB front of my 91 Sport. I was just curious as to how the TracLok has performed, and if you needed to rebuild the carrier clutch pack before installing? I understand they're notorious for wearing out quickly, and that one should expect to repack a used carrier.

Hey guys, this is a few months old, but I'm also thinking of throwing a Jeep TracLok in the TTB front of my 91 Sport. I was just curious as to how the TracLok has performed, and if you needed to rebuild the carrier clutch pack before installing? I understand they're notorious for wearing out quickly, and that one should expect to repack a used carrier.

Mine's been doing great. I can tell it is there but it isn't so bad that I have to make a 20 point turn in the ditches out at truckhaven, unlike [MENTION=63829]Tbars4[/MENTION] :)

I did rebuild my traclok with new clutches after I got it. I did re-stack them so it is friction/steel/friction pattern etc instead of the factory method which IIRC has a couple steels against each other. Granted, I did have to re-used a friction disc from the original pack, but I'm fine with that.

I'm also not running any friction modifier up front either AND, it was a 2 person job to get the traclok back in 1 pieces (spider gears were hard to get back in)

~Mark

OH yea.. Do NOT forget to put in the cross pin retaining bolt. The Open diff doesn't have one, but the LS will...

Cool, good info. Did the carrier go right in without having to shim differently?

Cool, good info. Did the carrier go right in without having to shim differently?

From a post in a thread I made when I did it..
maniak said:
I re-used the bearings and races that came with the trac lok, and even used the same carrier shims. I did use new ring bolts and pinion shaft lock bolt though.

Entire thread...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331921&highlight=pattern

Basically, I got lucky, things were in spec.. The wear pattern could have been a little deeper but I expected to change the gears.. I still haven't done that and things are still fine up front...

~Mark

Sounds like it is an easy swap. My main reason behind the front LS was snow wheeling. Have you run yours in any snow in the high country in AZ?

I'm put it in 4x4 in snow once since I've added the traclok up front. That was in our neighborhood and it was 5" of snow + mud... nothing spectacular. I would have been fine with just the rear locker...

~Mark

Back