1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Damage from running over curb?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by dadominate, December 24, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dadominate

dadominate New Member

City, State:
      baltimore
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 XLT
      After tons of research I just recently got a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer, and love it so far...

As my luck would have it though, I ran over a curb when pulling out of a tight, crowded Christmas rush parking lot. HARD. As in shook my seat and sounded like I'd hit a dumpster or something. My back right wheel is the one that ran over it, nothing in the front. There is no damage to the exterior and I took a look underneath and didn't see anything that appeared damaged. What kind of problems can I expect? Suspension? Alignment?

Or since it's a truck, maybe nothing at all?

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. VOATMJ1

VOATMJ1 Active Member

City, State:
      Southwest, Iowa
      '00 Sport 4X4
      Just keep an eye on the tire, and that will tell you if you threw it out of alignment. Also, have someone follow you and see if that wheel has any wobble in it, or jack it up and spin it, if no wobble...keep on truckin!

4. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      Well if its still able to roll, then keep on rollin'! Though my advice would be to take it in for an alignment at some point just to make sure that things are at their acceptable angles.

5. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT
      Not to change topic...but mine thing falls under this sorta...What would hitting the tire on a curb do?? I was sliding at about 5-10 MPH bumped the left tire...pretty hard and then spun around and bumped the right about the same speed...I'm hoping that hitting both fronts like that just made them equal again :D (jk on equal part)

6. pear

pear New Member

City, State:
      Cutler, OH
      02EB/02EB /C4,C5&C6Vettes
      The first incident, will likely be ok but I'd watch the tire very close for a weak side wall, as well as keep an eye on the wheel for a day or so. The second incident I'd be concerned about the alignment. Don't forget in both cases, weak sidewalls can show up on the inside as well as the outside...........don't hesitate to get down and look under the "X" once in a while. Maintenance and upkeep is the life blood of any vehicle........."pear"

7. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Greenville, MI
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
      Dadominate, I would guess you did no damage. If you did hurt the sidewall of the tire you will feel a side-to-side motion of the X at low (5 mph) speeds. This indicates a broken belt in the tire. If so...time to replace it. You also might want to look a the shock once in awhile to see if it is leaking any fluid.

TJM623, as cheap as alignments are and as expensive as tires are, I would not wait to get the alignment checked. I bet you need it....Plus if out of alignment it will not be as stable on snow covered roads.

8. F14CRAZY

F14CRAZY To the flo...

City, State:
      Dimondale, Michigan
      '92 GT, '93 Limited
      At what speed did you hit it?

9. IZwack

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      TJM623 >> i'd recomment an alignment and tell the shop what had happened to ensure they also check the geometry.

Once I smashed the rear end sideways on a curb during an ice storm (while i was still studying in upstate NY). the accident smashed the rear right wheel flat against the curb. I still had the stock aluminum wheels back then and, with aluminum being very resistant to bending, the impact chipped about a 1 inch piece of the wheel and shoved it into the tire :eek: . The result was obviously a useless tire and wheel, and it also bent the rear solid axle a tid bit. I still run with the same rear axle but you can hear a very tiny wobble at highway speeds due to the slightly bent rear axle.

As for the front, another impact on the front passenger side was direct to the new steel wheels and was bad enough to bend not only the steel wheels, but also the steering knuckle causing the front to have severe toe-in and one horrid camber issue :confused: . I stopped by at a nearby service station and they KINDLY let me borrow their open-end wrenches :D . I did an eye-based alignment at the parking lot and was back on the road in about 15 minutes (oh and i obviously returned the tools! :eek: ). However, the impact had damaged the inner tie-rod's ball joint. It wasn't noticable at first, but after a few months of driving, the inner tie rod's ball joint's condition worsened to the point where I could hear it clunking around and I could push the tie rod assembly in and out by about 1mm. So this part was replaced about a week ago and things are back to 'normal' ;) .

Do take a quick peak at the front of your 2nd-gen X. Compare the left side from the right side, they should be mirror opposites of each other - with the exception of the upper control arm. Unless you've replaced it with with the revised version, I believe the upper control arm is a two-piece on the passenger side where it is a once-piece on the driver's side. Step back a few feet from the front and compare the geometry of things from both sides. When my steering knuckle was bent, it was noticable that there was less space between the top of the knuckle and the tire when viewed from the front.

Anywas, good luck and I hope you're story doesnt turn out like one of the stories I mentioned ;) .

10. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      I will second what IZ said ( that is the second time tonight if I am not mistaken :) )
      On both accounts get an alignment.
      ESPICIALLY the front hit.
      You would be surprised how much damage a curb can do.

Trust me I see it every winter.

11. IZwack

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      it is INDEEED the 2nd time tonight MonMIX. MD ppl just have nothing else to do on Christmas Eve. I'm gonna go vandalize something - cya.

12. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT
      can the alignment wait?? Never no what else i might hit in the winter and don't wanna have to go again...(I'm not a bad driver...it's just those damn old people :D ) And my dad usually gets alignments and other stuff come spring time anyways.

13. dreamr

dreamr Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lynnwood WA
      99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
      Grin and forget about it if there are no obvious problems over the week.

Every wheel on my rig has taken hard hits and nothing but ball joints has broken. And they were due anyway. Pretty sturdy vehicles really.

I do recommend an alignment in your near future though.

14. MONMIX

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      the longer you wait the more you risk uneven wear on your tires ( no alignment in the world can correct uneven tire wear ) and ball joint wear.

15. MONMIX

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport

Just don't mess with my X :D

16. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      I once had to elect a guard rail or a car in an accident situation. I chose the rail. The aluminum wheel took a hard hit.... looked great, but the insurance company paid about $300 to replace it.... and would not sell me the salvage. They said that the damage could manifest itself in the future in a failure.... I offered to pay for it to be magnifluxed, and they laughed, It is aluminum... dye check would the the limit of the testing ability... so right or wrong, bear that in mind.

17. dadominate

dadominate New Member

City, State:
      baltimore
      '02 XLT
      thanks for the responses guys. i hit the curb at about 5-10 mph, but everything seems to be okay. strong endorsement for the X!

will probably bring it in to get the alignment done in a couple weeks just to be safe. it could probably use it anyway, as i don't think the prior owner had had it done in a while.