Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Damage on new delivery

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by SickSix, June 18, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BobbyMarks

BobbyMarks Active Member

City, State:
    Overland Park, KS
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Ford Explorer XLT - 2012
    Agree, BUT I had my A/C evaporator replaced twice during the same job. No squeaks/rattles...... no nothing.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BM:salute:

PS: I take the offer after seeing the huge dent!!!:thumbsup:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SickSix

SickSix Member

City, State:
    Dirty South
    2015 Explorer Limited
    Out of curiosity, I called a different dealer to get a price quote on just the parts to replace the dash... $2150 (retail) before tax. I know the dealer wouldn't pay retail if they were to replace the dash, but I know true cost is still a lot more than $500. I'm guessing labor would be another $2000 at least, so a $500 offer to make me go away is really low. Definitely going to see if they will come up on the offer now, we'll see this afternoon when I go back over.

4. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Ford's cost is far less then that. Based on that retail, dealer cost would be roughly $1,500. Take the same markup off that at a minimum for Ford's cost and they are in the $800-$900 price at the most. It would also be warranty labor rates, not retail labor. $80 an hour roughly.. Id say a good estimate would be a $1,500 repair out of Ford's pocket.

See if they will give you a Premium ESP instead.. much better value IMO then a check.

Last edited: June 19, 2015
  5. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    '11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
    Let shop monkeys tear it out and replace? No.

6. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    well, seeing how "large" the dent is.... not sure i'd really be pushing too hard and expect Ford to pay.

7. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Your mom's house
    07 Sport Trac
    Make the buggers pay, They would bend you over the barrel for a dime. You know it.

8. SickSix

SickSix Member

City, State:
    Dirty South
    2015 Explorer Limited
    Well, I was able to negotiate enough for them to throw in 4 free oil changes and tire rotations, 10% my next parts order, plus the original $500. Not great, but not too bad either. Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions.

I also talked to a guy at a body shop (not at the dealer) and he said he may be able to fix the dent for about $50.

9. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    I wasn't thinking about that but I bet you a paintless dent removal guy could get that out. Put a little hot glue on it, little puller attachment, pop it out and then peel the glue right off. Had 6 little dents pulled out of my truck that way.. the glue peels right off after so it wouldn't cause any damage.

10. sheltonfilms

sheltonfilms Active Member

City, State:
    Hoover, AL
    2013 Limited 3.5L
    DO NOT DO IT.

The dash is a "foam in place" shell. The outer skin is heat formed with excess material cut away. Then placed in a device that "pre cuts" the underside of where the passenger air bag goes.

This skin and a plastic substrate is placed in a "foam in place" tooling press and foam is injected between the two.

This could be a manufacturing defect where not enough foam filled the area or there was a really hard hit to the area. I've seen both and the lack of foam was the higher occurring defect.

Either way the foam is compressed or there is a lack of. The only way you could fix this is to inject a filler material into the dash between the skin and substrate. This would leave a hole and if you put to much filler material in you're going to have a bulge.

I've seen this process when I was the cockpit (dash) engineer at Kia.

The only way we repaired these defects was to replace the dash panel. We eventually switched to replacing the whole dash to insure higher quality.

Trust me if we could have repaired the defect in place we would. It takes time to replace a dash even at the plant. Some guys could do it in less than 2 hours (only a select few could do it this quick). That's removing a door, seats, and center console along with draining coolant and recovering refrigerant.

Save 50 bucks and a headache and just leave it alone.

For more on FIP see the link below:

http://www.epw.com/custom-rim-tooling-capabilities/fip-tooling/