1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dana 35 IFS... 4.56 gears and cross pin

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Creager, December 30, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Creager

Creager Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Charlotte, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 Sport 4x4
      hey guys

im very close to putting 4.56 gears in my truck; i just have a couple more parts to buy. Already got the gears, all the bearings and shims, soon some ez lockers will be comming in the mail.

Now, i know i need a notched cross pin for the rear (8.8) but where ever i reasearch, nobody has any information on a cross pin for the Dana 35IFS. Is a cross pin for the D35 needed? remember i am running 4.56 and it is required for the 8.8...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      You do not need a notched cross pin for 4.56s just 4.88 and (numerically) higher.

4. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer

OOOOOF! :confused: I'm lost. So r u looking for a notched-pin for the front D35/M35 or the 8.8 rear? You should be able to find this notched pin from somewhere. I bought my 4.56 set from Randy's Ring and Pinion and they threw in the notched pin for free! But perhaps look at the local shops around you first so you don't have to pay for shipping - maybe a 4x4 shop or a Speed shop (as the 8.8 diff is also used on muscle cars).

Doug>> Dunno if ur talking about the rear or the front, but I run 4.56s and the rear 8.8 diff does have a notched-pin as the pin does not come straight out (4.56's ring gear is too thick).

5. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sykesville, MD
      Hrm, I thought you didnt need the notched cross pin the 4.56s. As far as I know there isn't a notched cross pin for the front but someone else should be able to answer this better than I can.