Dana 35 IFS... 4.56 gears and cross pin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 IFS... 4.56 gears and cross pin

Creager

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport 4x4
hey guys

im very close to putting 4.56 gears in my truck; i just have a couple more parts to buy. Already got the gears, all the bearings and shims, soon some ez lockers will be comming in the mail.

Now, i know i need a notched cross pin for the rear (8.8) but where ever i reasearch, nobody has any information on a cross pin for the Dana 35IFS. Is a cross pin for the D35 needed? remember i am running 4.56 and it is required for the 8.8...

You do not need a notched cross pin for 4.56s just 4.88 and (numerically) higher.

need a notched cross pin for the rear (8.8) but where ever i reasearch, nobody has any information on a cross pin for the Dana 35IFS.

OOOOOF! :confused: I'm lost. So r u looking for a notched-pin for the front D35/M35 or the 8.8 rear? You should be able to find this notched pin from somewhere. I bought my 4.56 set from Randy's Ring and Pinion and they threw in the notched pin for free! But perhaps look at the local shops around you first so you don't have to pay for shipping - maybe a 4x4 shop or a Speed shop (as the 8.8 diff is also used on muscle cars).

Doug>> Dunno if ur talking about the rear or the front, but I run 4.56s and the rear 8.8 diff does have a notched-pin as the pin does not come straight out (4.56's ring gear is too thick).

Hrm, I thought you didnt need the notched cross pin the 4.56s. As far as I know there isn't a notched cross pin for the front but someone else should be able to answer this better than I can.

Back