Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dana 44/8.8/9 Thrust washers

Discussion in 'Tips and Technical Info posted by Technician's' started by KurtECV, March 9, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KurtECV

KurtECV Surrender The Booty Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Lebanon MO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 Sport
      94 sport
      Posting in case anyone else needs the INFO:

The Dana 44/AMG 20/Ford 8.8 share almost the same axle gear thrust washer as the 31 spline Ford 9 inch.

Found this out when I was checking clearances for my Aussie Locker in my 9 inch. I'm out of spec so I called Tech and ran some measurements with her.

They aren't exactly the same ID/OD but checking the carrier (on the 9) it will work, which I confirmed those numbers with the tech chick.

The factory thrust washer thickness on all of them is 0.030. Aussie has thin (don't remember), stock (0.030) and thick (0.042) thrust washers available. I ordered the thick set for $26.00 with free Priority shipping.

Should have the new washers in monday I will post pictures and exact measurements if anyone wants them

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.