Dana 44 and 3 link install | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 and 3 link install

Since the AZ wheeling season is finally upon us, I decided it was time to put my new truck in the shop for a little tweaking to better handle the trails around here. A little about what I started with:
97Picture_189-med.jpg

Specs: 5 speed, manual tcase, 5.13's, discs and no slip in rear, 37 MTR's(street) and 36 TSL's(rocks).

The goal for this project was to build something that was able to drive to the hardest trails in AZ, run them successfully, and then drive home. It must also be able to be driven everyday as this is my main source of transportation. All decisions were made with a bias towards trail performance, instead of street comfort.

Build Specs:

Dana 44 - Left over from my last project.
- Warn shafts, CTM's, Detroit, 5.13's, Hi-steer setup, etc.
King Coilovers - 14" travel, 2" body
King Airbumps - 4" travel
Custom 3 link w/ panhard rod

All fabrication work is being performed by 4 Wheelers Supply here in Phoenix.

Work started Monday. Progress as of lunch today.
64DSC00705.jpg

Old front end has been stripped out, frame rail have been ground smooth in preperation for reinforcement plating, axle location has been determined, ride height is set. Items in the engine compartment have been relocated in preperation for the shock hoops and the crossbar that will connect them across the engine bay(next two pics).
64DSC00708.jpg

64DSC00707.jpg

I hope to stop in again at the shop Tues or Wed next week (it is a 45 drive away) and have better progress pics of the actual layout of the links, as well as the hoops for the coilovers.

Estimated completion date is sometime the first week of December.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the compliments guys, I am very happy with the way it turned out. Better than I could have imagined.

SticO - I dont know about paint. I was thinking some steel wool and WD 40 to polish it up, you know, for a little bling :D

Froader - I'll grab you some pics of the cross member later today. They did a nice job on it.

j602 - Bumper tubing is, I believe, 1.75" .120 wall DOM

410 - The grill is staying, but I may have to trim it more if it causes problems with reaching the plug on the side or the lever.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Careful when you drive down to Texas for the Hoildays.. You mihgt end up with Rust.. LOL

Michael said:
SticO - I dont know about paint. I was thinking some steel wool and WD 40 to polish it up, you know, for a little bling :D

Kris Guilbeaux said:
Careful when you drive down to Texas for the Hoildays.. You mihgt end up with Rust.. LOL
...or no top. Just stay away from Brian's house... :D

Michael said:

Just spray some clear laquer on it. That what I did for my skid plate. It's doing well :thumbsup:

Stic-o said:
Just spray some clear laquer on it. That what I did for my skid plate. It's doing well :thumbsup:

Good idea. I don't usually go for shiny stuff, but I like the way this looks.

Sorry Kris, but due to my work schedule and other things I am flying to TX for the holidays. You'll just have to come here or to Moab to see it in person and drive it.

Froader: The crossmember. They cut off the lip on the front and added the gusset you see. They also plated on both sides to strengthen it. If you want other angles let me know.
64DSC00016.jpg

RockRanger: I got a few of the rear upper link mount for you.
64DSC00014.jpg

64DSC00012.jpg

Michael said:
Froader: The crossmember. They cut off the lip on the front and added the gusset you see. They also plated on both sides to strengthen it. If you want other angles let me know.
Thank you sir, that pic does me just fine. :thumbsup:
I'll sneak a peak of it at TH in Feb anyway.

Dont Worry I will be there if it Kills me. Moab is a go this year.. I plan to Ride a trail with you shot gun. I wanna Take picture of my old beast in action at Moab.

Got any full shots of the complete truck since the SAS

Michael said:
Sorry Kris, but due to my work schedule and other things I am flying to TX for the holidays. You'll just have to come here or to Moab to see it in person and drive it.

That is just badass Michael I sure would like to see some other close up shots of some of the mounting points and so forth.

Edit: as I posted this you posted the pics I needed, THANX! ;)

BTW, am I detecting that you are possibly going to get some air time with this thing? :eek:

Attachments

• 64DSC00009 copy.jpg
    64DSC00009 copy.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,789

did this explorer used to be a 2wd ?

JS91X said:
did this explorer used to be a 2wd ?

Yes it did used to be 2wd, Kris converted it.

Jeff - :navajo:

sweet...

SVO said:
That is just badass Michael I sure would like to see some other close up shots of some of the mounting points and so forth.

Edit: as I posted this you posted the pics I needed, THANX! ;)

BTW, am I detecting that you are possibly going to get some air time with this thing? :eek:

I'll grab some pics of all the mounts for you tomorrow, if you need others. Air time may possibly happen ;) , but the truck is not built as a jumper. Without a serious truss the Dana 44 isn't up to landing a 4600lbs truck. Mainly the airbumps are a progressive, tunable way to control the small amount of uptravel that I have. Instead of suddenly bottoming out on a rubber or poly bumpstop, these get progressively stiffer until the end. Plus they look really cool :smoke: .

JS91X - Like Jeff said it was a 2wd and an automatic. Kris changed it over to a 4wd 5spd. Most likely I will be going back to an automatic in the future.

Which auto? hehehe 4r70w?
Why stop now?
hahaha

I wanna see the flex!

This Explorer has been though more swaps then you can count.

Brian Green Owned it orianally was 2wd, He lowered it First, then Lifted it 6", then lifted more 10.5", Then I bought it, Lowered it to 8" and converted to 4x4, then the auto went for the third time and swapped for a 5-speed, Then I sold it to Micheal, who now swaped the front for a Solid Axle. so far I have counted 5 different Front Suspentions in this Explorer since it was made..

I am sure its not the end for this Explorer

I want to know when it got the stripes?? :)

410Fortune said:
Which auto? hehehe 4r70w?
Why stop now?
hahaha

I wanna see the flex!

Nope, C4/5. I don't have the patience to deal with a computer controlled trans much less putting it in. I'll have the C4 built with a reverse manual valve body, basicly a manual w/o a clutch to fool with. And the Atlas bolts right up ;) .

Flex is coming, patience Grasshopper.

awesome choice.
Withthe C4 behind the 4.0L you can always also go 5.0L

You can use a GT-40 5.0L from an explorer donor and drop in a distributor, run the older EEC-IV computer and simple EFI wiring.

The reverse manual C4 is the hot setup :) I just dont want to live without OD if I don't have to.

Thanks for the pictures That is exactly what I wanted to see. I can see how it can be a real pain to get the tranny in and out of there now. Did you have to move the cats back to make the them fit?

You would have to ask Brian that one. It had it stripes already when I bought it. :D

410Fortune said:
I want to know when it got the stripes?? :)

Very nicely done. The fabrication and welding looks top notch.

Back