Dangeranger SAS done | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dangeranger SAS done

Finilly got it finished, im running 5.13s, 14" airshocks, and Aussie lockers. It is sitting to tall in the front right now i need to drop about 50psi. Any questions just ask.
1.jpg

2.jpg

And a little poser shot :D
3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha, EXACTLY what I have waiting to go in, to the year and model!
Now I know what mine'll look like. :cool:

Awsome! What are you waiting for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Money! :splat:

Looks good! How is the handling? I am going to 3link my front and 4link my rear with the 2.5 Air shocks.... theres always naysayers but Im confident if setup right it will work.

Unfortunately, me and my 2full width axles are with rangerx , lol . Just waiting:rolleyes:

Looks good! How is the handling? I am going to 3link my front and 4link my rear with the 2.5 Air shocks.... theres always naysayers but Im confident if setup right it will work.

Unfortunately, me and my 2full width axles are with rangerx , lol . Just waiting:rolleyes:

It has alot of body roll, but thats to be expected. I just got it aligned today and it drives great. I need to go to 4* bushings instead of the current 7*. But other than that its good. I need to get the front drive shaft lengthened so i can go out and wheel the thing now. I dont think it would be streetable with air shocks front and rear. Not without front and rear sway bars anyways.

There are no springs.... It is an "Air shock" or nitrogen shock.

It is not a regular shock, the shaft is much larger abour 1 7/8" or something and it has an internal coil spring along with oil for dampening. They are charged with nitrogen.... They are fully adjustable. The dampening as well as ride heighth.

Dangerranger: So you think that if the dampening was tuned differently it could help with your body roll?

Dangerranger: So you think that if the dampening was tuned differently it could help with your body roll?

Posibly, but it rides nice and soft yet doesnt bounce like worn out shocs would do. Sway bars would be the only real solution with disconects. Then it would not roll on the streets yet would flex off road. Im not worried about the body roll, I have a street bike and Mustang for going fast through turns. :D we will see how it does on the highway tomorrow though, after I change the caster bushings.

Couple things about airshocks, they really should be called airsprings because they ride on a high charge of nitrogen.
How much gas charge to oil ratio is dependent on the weight of your vehicle. There are no internal springs in airshocks just oil, nitrogen, piston and valve stacks.
Airshocks started out as a cheap alternative to C/O's and they are nice tight package is space is concerned. Buggy's and other light vehicles seem perform better on airshocks than heavier vehicles like our Explorers and Rangers, but that doesn't mean they won't work.
Some complaints i've heard with airshocks is that they like to unload when sidehilling which can be a bit hairy. Some Anti-rock type sway bars would help in this department.

Last year Shannon Campbell won the King of The Hammers on a set of Fox triple bypass airshocks with resevoirs...pretty bad ass.
At the last Off Road Expo the King shock booth had their own set of triple bypass airshocks with resi's for about $800 EACH:eek:

Here's another option:
http://www.oristruts.com/
Everyone seems to be raving about them and claim to cure all the downfalls that airshocks have. These are along the lines of what monster trucks use.

Sorry about the major hijack:D

That looks sick! That's pretty much what I came on this forum for! Info on how to do this swap. I will be reading all about it as soon as I have my comp. Back! Nice job and well done! So what was the final cost in parts and are they anything I can find in salvage yards or mail order only?

Back