Darn Heep! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Darn Heep!

OK, so i go to a ORV type park Livingston, Ky for a day of off roading, i'm with a Heeper freind and i'm following him, i can tell he's going places that he doesn't think i can go through, but i make it. Pretty much to make a long story short, i hung with the heep in the hill/rock/step crawling department, so he decides to hit up the mud, and Hydro-locked. Of course here comes the X to the rescue, i have to get into the mud which is around knee deep, just under the doors on the truck. to pull him out, i get him out and start towing him down the trail....YOu should've seen the looks we got with an explorer towing out a jeep...well we get out of the park and towards a gas station and the explorer starts running hot, i rush to a car wash and let the truck sit for about an hour cleaned everything, but the truck still ran hot, we couldn't figure it out, so i start taking everything off the motor and the fan side of the radiator was soo caked in mud that i was getting no air flow through it. :banghead:

223222_44_full.jpg

here we are removing stuff
223222_59_full.jpg

The Heep friend cleaning off my radiator
223222_51_full.jpg

Here she is just sittin pretty
223222_60_full.jpg

And finally after about 4.5 hours of cleaning my engine and radiator the truck runs cool again, and the heep is towed home!
223222_52_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. My radiator had so much mud in it. I was worried the whole drive home.

97muddy.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it seems like the "heep" had smaller, less agressive tires than your explorer. very important in the mud. how do you hydrolock you enging in knee deep mud/water? musta been a poor driving decision.
nathan

Some Heep's can hydrolock in fairly shallow water if I'm not mistaken.

He had 32's i have 33's he has AT's i have MT's. I"m not trying to bash on Jeeps, he is a friend of mine, and he knows i posted this. it was just a funny sight.

There is a steep drop off into the mud, even though the mud was only 2.5-3' deep, as you can see from the front of my truck we already 'cleaned' off his truck with the buckets of water.

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
Some Heep's can hydrolock in fairly shallow water if I'm not mistaken.
how?
you would have to suck water into the intake. the intake is located at about headlight level. not to far from most vehicles.
nathan

When you go into this hole, the entry is pretty steep almost a verticle drop so the entire front end goes into the mud (see the front of my truck) he sucked in water there, sputtered midway through, where he hit a deep rut, sucked in more and locked. End of story

This whoops story isn't about a jeep hydro locking, it was about my stupidity in not checking the flow through my radiator, before i Overheated on the interstate going home, the jeep part is just details, on how i got muddy

Don't some Heeps get their intake from next to the fender? I read somewhere that some Heep's get their intake by the fender where it's easy to get splashed.

Umm I don't run Firestones. I'm also no Heep expert. I just know enough to see they are worthless.

hey calm down guy, i'm not here to start a flame war. i never said fords were worthless. i respect all competent wheelers. i happen to like jeeps, zj's in particular. :chug:
my "worthless" jeep sports 35" mt/r's, lockers and a york oba system oh and solid axles front and rear ;) even an 8.8

:thumbsup:

nathan

Originally posted by JeepZJ
no that must be exploders :D watch those firestone tires ;)

nathan

Maybe if the owners of those tires werent doing 80+ on badly worn tires they wouldnt have had a problem. Its those people out there who dont think that give all trucks and SUVS a bad name.

It really sux what a crappy tire can do to a really nice trucks name. :(

Originally posted by Namitey
Maybe if the owners of those tires werent doing 80+ on badly worn tires they wouldnt have had a problem. Its those people out there who dont think that give all trucks and SUVS a bad name.

i agree
i was just f'n with you guys.

:chug:

nathan

Originally posted by JeepZJ
i agree
i was just f'n with you guys.

:chug:

nathan

I know but i figured i might as well throw that out there. :)

Back