Dash Brake Light Stays On Until Multiple Pulls | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash Brake Light Stays On Until Multiple Pulls

Stark

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Please let me know if this is in the wrong place or if I missed a relevant thread when I searched!

When I release my emergency brake it will often take several pulls to get the brake light on the dash to go off. I can tell by the noise when I pull the first time that the brake has in fact released, but the light makes me paranoid. Could anyone help me figure out what is wrong and how to fix it?

If it's relevant, the plastic handle that you use to pull it came off. It leaves you with a metal lever to pull which works fine, just a little sharp sometimes.

In case my terminology is wrong, I'm talking about the brake on the far left, and the lever under the one that opens the engine hood, and the red "BRAKE" light I think in the lower left center of the dash above the steering wheel.

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT. If you need more info just let me know!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a small switch located by/on the parking brake mechanism. These switches just make the ground connection for the brake light on the dash. They often either stay ON or don't come ON because the switch gets dirty and sticks or doesn't make a good connection. I find that a squirt of WD40 on the switch, maybe once a year, keeps it working fairly well. If you stick your head under the dash and look at the parking brake pedal mech, you'll see the little switch with a black wire attached to it.

BTW, That light can also indicate you are low on brake fluid. Check that too.

Also, if your cables have stretched or the shoes have un-adjusted themselves loose, the foot lever assembly might not be able to self-adjust enough to take up the slack. In that case, the cable won't be pulling the lever back far enough to hit the switch and turn the light off.

Thank you both! So once I find the switch (which I haven't been able to do yet but I only was able to take a quick peek) what exactly am I looking for as far as knowing whether or not it's working correctly?

I'm betting it's brake fluid, that happens often enough that I'm surprised I forgot and didn't just check that first, but I'll look at the switch just in case.

Push the emergency brake up. Like kick it up with your foot. Old trick for older vehicles. Sometimes when you pull the handle just because its old the pedal wont go up all the way. So just kick it up

Push the emergency brake up. Like kick it up with your foot. Old trick for older vehicles. Sometimes when you pull the handle just because its old the pedal wont go up all the way. So just kick it up

While holding the release handle.

the little switch is located on the rear, top of the parking brake mechanism. you'll need to get down on you knees and stick your head under the dash with a flashlight to see it.

FYI: you don't need to hold the release handle to try pulling up on the pedal once it's been released. you're just trying to make sure the pedal has come up as far as it goes.

FYI: you don't need to hold the release handle to try pulling up on the pedal once it's been released. you're just trying to make sure the pedal has come up as far as it goes.

And it won't come up all the way if you're not holding the release handle. Trust me, I'm dealing with that situation right now.

The pedal will hang down thats why you don't need to pull cable after you pulled it that's why the light is on because the pedal isn't up all the way. Its old and stretched. I'm sure there might be some that you have to pull and kick up but that's the reason why its hanging down is the cable wont pull it all the way up

The pedal will hang down thats why you don't need to pull cable after you pulled it that's why the light is on because the pedal isn't up all the way. Its old and stretched. I'm sure there might be some that you have to pull and kick up but that's the reason why its hanging down is the cable wont pull it all the way up

But my point is, the foot lever won't move up from however far the cable pulled it up unless you're still holding the release lever when you push it up with your foot. My point has nothing to do with what caused the issue; we're talking about solutions.

Say the cable length pulls the foot lever 90% up, but the lever has to be 97% up to engage the switch and turn the light off. After the cable has pulled the foot lever, unless you're still holding the release, it won't move up any further. Because it's still locked by the brake within the foot lever assembly.

I've got the opposite problem. Ever since I replaced the park brake shoes and adjusted them, the park brake light hasn't worked.

It probably gave up long ago, I just haven't been using the park brake.

I gotta do this on my 97 ranger, and on my 02 Ex.

But that doesnt seem to solve your problem...

No Parking Brake On Indicator Light

Newbie here.
I have the same problem as FLASH: no brake light even after replacing frozen parking brake cables, new PB shoes, etc., on my 99 XLT AWD. The light is working when I start the truck, so the bulb is OK. As I understand it, the parking brake light switch simply grounds the brake light to make it light up. Correct?
Is the switch adjustable or should I just replace it?
If replacement is required, is there a website/video that shows how?
Thanks,

Back