Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dash light bulb replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Joel_mccr, April 28, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Joel_mccr

Joel_mccr New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2009 Ford Explorer
    I have a 2009 Ford Explorer. My question is what is the bulb number for instrument cluster. Half of my speedometer is not lighting up. I know how to replace the bulb. It appears to be pretty simple. My only issue is I do now know what bulb number is. I have searched the forums and have found several different answers. The bulb number most people say is it's 194. But I have noticed that those are older year models than mine. I just didn't want to get dash apart and cluster out to figure out it's a weird bulb number that I would have to order. So does anyone know For sure what the bulb number is for the instrument cluster (dash lights) bulb number is for a 2009 Ford Explorer. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
    '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
  4. asull85

asull85 The Storm Chaser Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Agawam, MA
    2016 Interceptor Utility
    Callsign:
    WX4FUN
  5. Joel_mccr

Joel_mccr New Member

2009 Ford Explorer
    Ok thank you for the help. My next question is does changing the color of the bulb affect the dash lights at all? Or are they always going to appear green regardless of the bulb color? And if I switch the instrument cluster bulbs to LED how many total do I need to order? Thanks again

6. asull85

asull85 The Storm Chaser Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Agawam, MA
    2016 Interceptor Utility
    Callsign:
    WX4FUN
    If you get LED's get the green ones. Any other color will make the instrument cluster unreadable at night. If I remember correctly there are 7 bulbs.

7. MotorCityFats13

MotorCityFats13 Active Member

City, State:
    Flatrock MI
    2007 Explorer XLT 4.0L
    the color is the overlay not the bulb color so changing the color of the bulb just makes it dimmer or blends the color to a color you did not want... I did these led's in mine.... they shorted something out and now I have had no cluster illumination and warning lights for the last 3 months...... pretty expensive outcome... i don't have that kind of money to replace the cluster and you cant just swap in a used $100 cluster with a close milage... and I dont have any idea on the cost to program one