Dash powers down while driving, no driving performance issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash powers down while driving, no driving performance issues

SidCharming

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limted
Within the past month I have a new issue with my 05 Explorer XLT. While driving, I notice all gauges drop to zero, the engine lights *all* light up, the lights on the dash stay on, the Trip odometer zeros out and only a few times the radio cuts out (but stays lit up). The Brownout (as I am calling it) only happens for up to 10-15 seconds. It comes back to life and acts like normal. (when I say the gauges, it includes the speedometer which goes to zero; fuel gage=zero; Alternator=zero; oil pressure = zero; temperature gauge=zero).

Anyone else experience something like this? Not sure where to go for testing or look for source of problem. If it was a fuse, it wouldn't come back to life.

The wonders of my current ride... I call this truck "Guess" because I seem to speak of the truck in the following way... Guess what sound it's making; Guess what just happened; Guess what smell that is; Guess what needs to be fixed now... (you get the idea) =)

** The problem is not constant and I have yet to figure out how to reproduce the issue from triggering. I have been taking notice if something seems to trigger the anomaly... it's happened while driving down the highway, sitting at a stop light or other... nothing seems to be a pattern to cause it.

Loose ground most likely.

All the gauge info is fed from a databus line from the ECU but if that were loose I really don't think it would affect the radio.

Anyone have any suggestions how to trap for it? Because the issue doesn't happen all the time or by any defined action, it's going to be a difficult task to find the source. Unless there are connectors or points within the system I can go see if that specifically is the problem (ie if a harness is prone, I'd check it specifically).

Thanks in advance!

Back