Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Solved Dead graphics card?

Discussion in 'Exploring Computers!!' started by BKennedy, February 14, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT
      I know the forum knows all and sees all, so I am posting this question here before I go purchase a new desktop. I have an 8 year old Dell XPS desktop that has given us many years of good service. Lately, I noticed the screen would go dark, then come back a few seconds later. Tonight, it appeared to crash with the screen looking like the pictures below. It tries to reboot, but through the stripes I can read it telling me something is wrong. It will keep in this reboot, try to fix problem loop until I shut if off manually. Card is a ATI Radeon 5000 series, not sure which one. Is the graphics card dead?
      20190213_214136.jpg
      20190213_214242.jpg

20190213_214337.jpg

If its dead, anybody have a decent graphics card they would like to sell cheap so I can get this running and save all the pictures?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
      • Like Like x 1
    4. JungleSkunk

JungleSkunk Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Carbondale, Co
      1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
      Totally a dead graphics card "artifacting" on its way out. Like mentioned above grab an external drive bay on amazon and plug your HDD into it to recover the files.

EDIT:

For some reason I thought this was a laptop but reread you in fact have a desktop.

You can pick up a used radeon 6450 for pretty cheap and it should plug and play in most systems with a simple driver update and run everything up to HD video just fine.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3 HDMI/DVI-D/VGA PCI-Express Graphics Card 840777053393 | eBay

Last edited: February 14, 2019
    5. Stic-o

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      I walked away from desktops years ago. They just take up too much space. Everyone has a laptop in the house with a central wireless printer.

6. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Thanks.

I checked the monitor by plugging it into my laptop, works fine. I thought it was the graphics card because the interweb told me so, but don't know much about PC's. I would like to keep this old gal going for a while longer. Besides, it has all my old games loaded on it and a 26" widescreen. Thanks for that link JS, I just bought that one. I got it for $17.50 because I had a $5 voucher from Ebay for a late arrival item. That is better than a thousand+ for a new PC, and its an upgrade.

Hey, 8 years ago this PC was the shizzle! Before this happened, it still loaded fast and was fine for my needs. I like having a desktop at the house as the central computer. Old school, yes but I like sitting at my desk in my office, while wasting countless hours searching for stuff I don't need. I have a laptop that's less than a year old with a 17" touch screen that I use for work and RV camping. Sarah has a older Dell laptop. Wife has a ipad.

I will report back when new (used) card is installed. This also taught me a valuable lesson; I haven't backed up my photos in a while, and there are 8 years of memories on the desktop. As soon as its back up and running, I am going to back them up onto my laptop and a external hard drive.
      Regards/

• Like Like x 1
    7. JungleSkunk

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Carbondale, Co
      Hope it fixes the issue. I ordered the same card a few months ago for an older desktop I had that needed a replacement and it worked great.

I couldnt live without my desktop. I feel like I am accomplishing something sitting at my big desk when in reality Im usually watching 4 wheeling on youtube or playing games... or both haha;)

8. Stic-o

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
      Brain get a extra external hard drive and back it up too. I speak from experience, I lost a hard drive with every image and video pre kids. And even some of them when they were younger. The drive dropped on the floor and everything was lost. Even sent it out for a $2k recovery, and they could not save anything. :(

I didn't have to pay however.

9. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      I have a 90 Gig external, but its not enough memory for the pictures I have accumulated. I have all the older kid and Explorerforum run pictures stored on it. You know, the important stuff

10. BKennedy

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      It was the graphics card. New (used) card arrived today, plugged it in, downloaded updated driver and.....
      20190220_150642.jpg

Thanks for the advice, best $17.50 I have spent in a while. And, its quiet too so I think the fan noise I have been hearing for the past several months was coming from the old card's fan.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Stic-o

Media:
      City, State:
      Lake View Terrace, CA
    12. JungleSkunk

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Carbondale, Co
    13. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      I marked this thread as solved. I remember seeing a similar issue years ago with some old CRT monitors. Sometimes the VGA cable was bad or one of the pins got bent plugging it in. The color would lose either red, green or blue, and everything looked dark. On a side note, if you plan on getting a hard drive, get a large capacity solid state drive. They cost a little more, but the speed is so much faster that you'll never want to go back to magnetic platter hard drives. It will make your old, slow computer run like a newer model. Increase the RAM too.