• Register Today It's free!

Death shake!

Ryanc721

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
ok...recently my 98 sport started making weird noises in the front left of my car. everytime i would hit the brake, it would sound like it was scratching...so i took it to get it fixed. they replaced my brake pads and grinded down the rotors and that problem went away....that night i took it on the highway and i hit a bump and my car started shaking out of control. i took it back and the guy said it happens sometimes and it normally fixes itself immediately..is this true? if not, what can be wrong?, because for the first time in my life, im scared to drive my explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you might have knoted a tire causein the balance to go out

I would check to make sure the hub is not shot. That model uses a unit bearing design and if the bearings go bad the hub needs to be replaced. Then there is the obvious, like did they tighten the lug nuts?

I have had the shake when my toe-in setting was off. Not sure how that could have happened after a brake job though...

Turn the steering wheel back and forth, lock to lock a few times to bleed the power steering system.

Our Explorers are known to get air in the power steering system if the wheels are turned while the engine is off.

This most likely happened while your truck was up on the lift having the brakes replaced.

+1 on bleeding the power steering. Had that (air in the system) happen to me when I had to push the truck after the battery died. The truck shook like crazy until I got the air out. Good luck!

Back