Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Death wobble

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Mudstang9443, November 19, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Mudstang9443

Mudstang9443 New Member

City, State:
    Nesconset, New York
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1996 Explorer XLT
    This morning driving to work I was going 45-50ish and switched lanes and right as I did I got a pretty heavy wobble in my steering wheel. It was enough that I had to slow down to control the steering wheel. Once I picked up again and got back up to that speed it was fine. I just put on a set of 33" terra grapplers this past weekend and I've driven 50 or so miles since and this was the first time it happened. I haven't had a chance to get underneath and take a look at anything yet but I figured I'd post on here to see if anyone has any suggestions on what it could be. I'm thinking maybe tie rods and/or ball joints? It's a 96 XLT with a tt and shackles on 33s.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 1997XLTRollover

1997XLTRollover Well-Known Member

1996 AWD 5.0
    Turn your steering wheel with your engine off while you installed them? If you did you introduced air into the steering system which will cause that. Exact same thing happened to me, same speed. Just do a bunch of lock to lock turns in a parking lot at real slow speed to clear the air.

4. 2TimingTom

2TimingTom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Littleton, Colorado
    '97 XLT
    typically death wobble isn't a thing on torsion bar vehicles. It's usually only associated with coil sprung solid axle vehicles.

You just got new tires installed...... I'd look at your lug nuts. Are they tight?

Tie rod ends could be the culprit, but unlikely. Ball joints could also be, but unlikely.

5. Mudstang9443

Mudstang9443 New Member

City, State:
    Nesconset, New York
    1996 Explorer XLT
    Yeah I actually turned the wheels when the front of the truck was jacked up and there was power steering fluid spewing all over the place so that makes sense. Thanks for the advice!

6. 1997XLTRollover

1997XLTRollover Well-Known Member

1996 AWD 5.0
    No problem, I learned about this recently myself the hard way as well haha. Scared the shit out of me.

We Support Our Troops!