Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rd-explorer-marks-25-years-of-innovation.html

Now that I study the picture above of the display more, it seems that the mph gauge is indeed separate from the 10" display they mention BUT if you look at the RPM gauge, it seems like the screen right below the dashes is a rectangular display so the display seems to start immediately to the left of the mph and go all the way to the left to the inside of the rpm gauge.

The same cluster screen is already in use in the 2013+ MKZ & 2015 MKC, it is all one screen, even the MPH display is part of the screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As much as I LOVE the 16, I think I will wait until the 17 model because the 16s will not have the new Sync 3 at this point and since they will not be upgradable, I hate to buy a 16 with an infotainment system that is at the end of its life.

I don't think the 16s will have many issues.. all it is is new bumpers, panels, tailgate (all simple stuff) so I doubt there are many tsbs to worry about upon it's release. But I hate to spend $48k +/- on a platinum to have the tech obsolete within a year from purchase.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/11/7375837/ford-sync-3-announced

Not really impressed. I think the present version of Sync is more aesthetically pleasing.

Here's what I like about mounting my cell phone firmly right next to the MFT with a Panavise mount made specifically to integrate into the Ex dash.

The article shows a screen shot of the MFT playing Pandora. If you want to go to the climate control screen you thus leave the Pandora screen (music will still play, but Pandora screen shuts down). With my cell streaming Pandora I can see the song and album art on my cell next to the MFT and change to any screen on the MFT while my cell still show the Pandora song and album art (same with the thousand plus songs I have downloaded on my cell with playlists set up). Can thus leave it on climate control if I have to change things a bit as the car gets going like defrost settings while still seeing Pandora.

Same with Nav. I prefer Google Nav to any OEM Nav (not just Ford). I have the map showing on my cell next to the MFT with turn by turn coming over the speakers via Bluetooth and can switch to any MFT screen while still seeing the map on my cell.

That's how I prefer to do it. Still, I see this as a step in the right direction for Ford, but a ways to go.

That being said, I am quite happy with functionality of MFT 3.6.2 - and especially when I integrate it with my cell phone.

Thanks for the link.. that was a great article to read.

I'm assuming you linked that because I said I'd wait till the 17 model to get Sync 3.

If so, let me clarify since when I reread my post, it didn't state what I meant. I do not believe Sync 3 will be in the 16 Explorer at launch. Being that the order guide says MFT (obviously the guide will change to state Sync 3 at some point) and that people have already been able to place orders for 2016 Explorers, i don't believe it will be out when they start getting built in April. We are only 4 months away from build.. I think it will be just like the F150s as I stated, it will be added at some point during the build cycle which is why I stated I'd wait till the 17 model (also to insure there are no bugs/tsbs).

Again, thanks for the link though!!

Hi guys. I'm a new member here, and a hope-to-be Explorer owner. Lots of great info here -- and well-organized, too.

I stumbled upon Ford's announcement of the 2016 Explorer and fell in love with the new Platinum version. After my wife selected an exterior color (Caribou), we visited a local Ford dealer today with hopes of ordering a 2016 Platinum for delivery next Spring or early Summer. The sales guy was very accommodating and helpful but ran into trouble while trying to configure and order the vehicle via the laptop on his desk. He kept getting an error message after specifying Body Code K8H with Equipment Group 600A.

The situation was escalated to the dealership's sales manager, who called Ford's district office for guidance. Turns out that the Platinum is not yet available to be ordered. Every other trim level of the 2016 can be ordered, but for some reason the Platinum is blocked on the internal Ford system. The sales guy and sales manager promised to investigate further and said they'd get back to me with an update soon.

I'll post again as soon as I learn anything new, and I look forward to participating here as an Explorer owner in the not too distant future.

Welcome to the Forum Exit32.:wavey:
I'm also looking at getting the Platinum model in the white tri-coat just like I had on my 2011 Limited.
Don't hesitate to post any questions you may have. The members are here to try and help as best they can.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Hi guys. I'm a new member here, and a hope-to-be Explorer owner. Lots of great info here -- and well-organized, too.

I stumbled upon Ford's announcement of the 2016 Explorer and fell in love with the new Platinum version. After my wife selected an exterior color (Caribou), we visited a local Ford dealer today with hopes of ordering a 2016 Platinum for delivery next Spring or early Summer. The sales guy was very accommodating and helpful but ran into trouble while trying to configure and order the vehicle via the laptop on his desk. He kept getting an error message after specifying Body Code K8H with Equipment Group 600A.

The situation was escalated to the dealership's sales manager, who called Ford's district office for guidance. Turns out that the Platinum is not yet available to be ordered. Every other trim level of the 2016 can be ordered, but for some reason the Platinum is blocked on the internal Ford system. The sales guy and sales manager promised to investigate further and said they'd get back to me with an update soon.

I'll post again as soon as I learn anything new, and I look forward to participating here as an Explorer owner in the not too distant future.

The order guide lists the Caribou color as "8H", not "K8H". They are mistyping the code in. Color codes are only 2 digits.

I'm checking with my contact now on what your dealer told you. My guess is they are full of crap and giving you an excuse they came up with till they figure it out. But again, if they are typing in "K8H", it will never go through.

My contact just got back to me. Platinum's can be ordered, he already has some on order.

Tell your dealer to get their act together or find another one.

If interested, my guy can order one for and get it within a week of them being built. He sells at or below invoice. Let me know if you want to go that route. You can PM me for details if interested.

The order guide lists the Caribou color as "8H", not "K8H". They are mistyping the code in. Color codes are only 2 digits.

I'm checking with my contact now on what your dealer told you. My guess is they are full of crap and giving you an excuse they came up with till they figure it out. But again, if they are typing in "K8H", it will never go through.

I appreciate the input, blwnsmoke. I agree that color codes are two characters. The issue was with the Body Code for the Platinum which is K8H and the Equipment Group Code for the Platinum which is 600A. BTW, the 2016 Ford Order Guide for the 2016 Explorer shows Caribou as Color Code H5. you can view the Ford Order Guide for 2016 Explorer here:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?Object_Name=0900cad981ff9c37

Do you deliver?:D

Peter

I appreciate the input, blwnsmoke. I agree that color codes are two characters. The issue was with the Body Code for the Platinum which is K8H and the Equipment Group Code for the Platinum which is 600A. BTW, the 2016 Ford Order Guide for the 2016 Explorer shows Caribou as Color Code H5. you can view the Ford Order Guide for 2016 Explorer here:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/edms/content?Object_Name=0900cad981ff9c37

That would be my sh!tty eyesight. lol.

The 5 looked like an 8 (I'm supposed to wear glasses). SMH..

I see the body code now that you are referring to..

But as I stated which I think you were probably replying while I was typing the 2nd reply, they can be ordered.

PS - I posted the order guide for everyone, the thread is now on page 2 of the forum :thumbsup:

Do you deliver?:D

Peter

Ha.. for you Peter.. NO LMAO.

Too bad you were not in the states.. I could get you some good rebates too :D

Thanks for the link.. that was a great article to read.

I'm assuming you linked that because I said I'd wait till the 17 model to get Sync 3.

If so, let me clarify since when I reread my post, it didn't state what I meant. I do not believe Sync 3 will be in the 16 Explorer at launch. Being that the order guide says MFT (obviously the guide will change to state Sync 3 at some point) and that people have already been able to place orders for 2016 Explorers, i don't believe it will be out when they start getting built in April. We are only 4 months away from build.. I think it will be just like the F150s as I stated, it will be added at some point during the build cycle which is why I stated I'd wait till the 17 model (also to insure there are no bugs/tsbs).

Again, thanks for the link though!!

Your welcome... I'm going to wait until Sync 3 is available also! and bug free!

Now there is an optimistic outlook. ;):thumbsup:

Peter

I have to say I think Ford learned their lesson. Keep it more simple and with built in wifi and auto check, updates will be sent very quickly. Very smart on their part (finally).

Hell, now with built in wifi, anybody with a data plan can have their car connect through their cell phone if they have the hotspot feature.

Hey, folks!

Don't forget that I can track and update you on the progress of your Explorers. Once you pull the trigger on ordering, send me a PM with your order number and dealership name/location. As an FYI, order numbers are four characters long and can be letters, numbers, or a combination of both. If you don't see something matching that description on your paperwork, just give your sales rep a call and they'll provide it to you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

As much as I LOVE the 16, I think I will wait until the 17 model because the 16s will not have the new Sync 3 at this point and since they will not be upgradable, I hate to buy a 16 with an infotainment system that is at the end of its life.

I don't think the 16s will have many issues.. all it is is new bumpers, panels, tailgate (all simple stuff) so I doubt there are many tsbs to worry about upon it's release. But I hate to spend $48k +/- on a platinum to have the tech obsolete within a year from purchase.

Ford hasn't said which vehicles will have Sync 3. I couldn't imagine Ford not using Sync 3 on the 2016 Explorer. I did read a quote from an official at Ford who said Sync 3 will be on more then half of the Ford/Lincoln vehicles coming out in 2016.

If Sync 3 isn't on the 2016 Explorer, that will be a deal breaker for me. My lease is up on my 13 Explorer in May. I planned on buying a 2016 Explorer Sport, but I won't if it still has the old Sync.

On one of the videos I watched the narrator mentioned that it would be, I think, on 60% of the Ford vehicles next year but didn't know which ones. He did say that the two 'mock-ups' used for SYNC3 display appeared to be a Mustang and the other an F-150. I guess we'll no by this Summer unless someone releases a list before that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guys do realize that Ford is dumping the Microsoft SYNC operating system to a SYNC QNX Blackberry branded one instead?

I don't really see how this is an upgrade and I'm suprised Ford did not go the Android / iOS route.

Back