Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Decelleration Issue

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RGbabylon, August 1, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RGbabylon

RGbabylon New Member

City, State:
      babylon, ny
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Ford Explorer AWDV6
      Hello All,

I have been coming to this site to see if I can identify the issue with my 03 explorer. Love my explorer has over 110,000 mi on it and looking to get another 5 years out of it.

Here is my issue, I recently started to notice a slight vibration when I would let off the gas from 50 mph to below, it is a consistent vibration about 2-3 seconds apart. I put in Neutral to make sure it was not the transmission, still did when I would not hit the brakes so nothing is sticking. It almost feels like I am going over a speed bump without actually going over a speed bump and have the up and down motion. Took it to a mechanic shop they put it on the lift and said the sound was coming from the transfer case. Bought a used, lower mileage transfer case put it in, starting the issues all over again. Definitely more subtle than right before I put the transfer case in that was real bad.

I will have this issue more if I am going 50-70 MPH on highway and run into a lot of traffic and slow down to 25-35 MPH a lot. When it was at its worse I would feel the vibration all the way down until I cam to a stop. Right now, it is not doing that because of the new transfer case but can tell will it eventually. I looked at the teeth on the transfer case and saw 5-6 were worn out a little. What is connected to the transfer case with the teeth? Maybe those are bad and that's whats causing the issue?

Please help..

Thanks,

RG

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    4. RGbabylon

RGbabylon New Member

City, State:
      babylon, ny
      2003 Ford Explorer AWDV6
      Thanks but the mechanic had said the U-Joints were okay. Another mechanic put it up on lift and said it was the transfer case. $650 later, it was never the transfer case. I am still driving it, at times i notice that I am now feeling the pulse when accelerating at a slow RPM around 30-40MPH. and then goes away at higher RPM's and higher speeds and then feel the pulse when I let off the gas...

It does feel like the driveshaft is bouncing somewhat. So now I am thinking if it is the Front Diff?