• Register Today It's free!

Decoding a transfer case tag.

darcy80

Reaction score
City, State
millville, nb
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer
i need to know how to decode the #'s on the t-case tag. think i got the wrong rear end.from what i can tell it's:
JL572 4405-10
125585 F87A-CA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and oh yeah...thanks in advance

...What makes you think you got the wrong rear end???

from what i can tell the rear end i have is a 3.55 and the door post says it had a 3.73. and now im wondering if maybe someone might have already changed the transfer case. just wanna make sure i put the right one in.

there is only 1 option for the t case in that rig, Borg Warner 4405, , it would be better to post the axle tag for us to see.

the one on the rear end?
S626B
55 88 0D25

didnt realize things went along so quickly on here. thanks guys.

...and your tag says it is a 4405...:dunno:

...What are you using to decide you have a 3.55 rather than the 3.73 it shows on the door tag???

...If the tag is the correct one that came with the axle, it says it is an 8.8 w/ 3.55 gears...I have seen tags that were put back on after servicing to be the wrong tag...I actually went back to a shop years ago and told them I wanted the tag put back on after they worked on it...

...They grabbed one of the number of tags they had in a pile from not putting them back on and stuck it on there...It was the wrong tag and I never went back to that shop...:rolleyes:

...The previous owner may have saved the original axle as he may have re-geared or installed a locker, and just swapped in a junk yard rear end before he sold the vehicle...:dunno:

i blew the pinion bearing in the rear end that was in it and got a rear end out of a friends truck ( he blew the motor). the rear end that i got from him had S626B 55880D25 on the tag. when i googled the number i found out it was a 3.55 from this site http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford13.htm .then i found i found the axle id # off the door post and found out it was a 3.73 from this site http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/115597-axle-codes.html . now i want to know if it still has the same type t case in it not changed to something else so i dont end up getting the wrong rear end again.

i would also check the front diff to see if it is the right one now too, if you drove it in 4wd with a 355 in the back and 373 in the front that would cause a whole lot of trouble, ,

i actually already put that rear end in and when i make a sharp turn i noticed the rear wheels seemed to spin a little differently than the front..dont worry, didnt move it far

im going to unhook the front drive shaft till i get this all figured out. im really new to the 4WD game.

...The tag I believe you should be looking for will have L 73 88 on it...:scratch:

cool thanks. the tag was missing from the one i wrote off.

i would also check the front diff to see if it is the right one now too, if you drove it in 4wd with a 355 in the back and 373 in the front that would cause a whole lot of trouble, ,

is there a tag on that too? the front diff

hmm, i would have to look at mine and see, give me a minute, i will go out and look,

hmm, i didn't find a tag on mine, but that doesn't mean there would be none, mine may have been regeared, , as i have 4:10's front and back,

thanks. could i just change the gears from the old one(blown pinion gear) to the 3.55 case?

thanks. could i just change the gears from the old one(blown pinion gear) to the 3.55 case?

Both the ring and pinion have to be the correct ratio, so you can not use the existing pinion in the 3.55 axle assembly with the 3.73 carrier and ring gear ... If thats what your asking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both the ring and pinion have to be the correct ratio, so you can not use the existing pinion in the 3.55 axle assembly with the 3.73 carrier and ring gear ... If thats what your asking

got ya. thanks. makes sense.

Back