Defective second row seat seatbelt configuration. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Defective second row seat seatbelt configuration.

I have this exact same problem - my petite 12 year old (70 lbs) cannot comfortably sit in the middle due to the inflexible seat belts.

What Model year Explorer do you have? Does it have the BLIS w/inflatible seat belts in the 2nd row?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Middle Row Worthless

What Model year Explorer do you have? Does it have the BLIS w/inflatible seat belts in the 2nd row?

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport Model. It does have the BLIS w/inflatable seat belts. I'm hoping to remove the bench and replace it with buckets if I can not void the warranty because my car is only 6 months old.

I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport Model. It does have the BLIS w/inflatable seat belts. I'm hoping to remove the bench and replace it with buckets if I can not void the warranty because my car is only 6 months old.
You only have to replace the '60' part of the bench since the '40' is the same as a bucket seat. Keep in mind that you will not have 'inboard' armrests with buckets.

Peter

Our 2014 xlt doesn't has the BLIS seatbelts. I'm a bit of a chubster, and just tried sitting in the middle seat. Because the receiver to the left of me has some flexibility, I was able to buckle the center seat no problem. The center and right side belt receivers were fixed in a rigid position. I'm sure there's a reason, but if they were a little flexible, someone bigger than me could fit easily.

That seat was made for mother inlaws...!

You only have to replace the '60' part of the bench since the '40' is the same as a bucket seat. Keep in mind that you will not have 'inboard' armrests with buckets.

Peter

Great thought Peter - thanks!

It might help with the car seat, but the problem for me isn't the length of the seat belt but the placement of the rigid seat belt hardware.

My EX has the BLIS seatbelts but also has 2nd row bucket seats with no console. And even with that, although the receivers can move forward or back a couple inches, they don't really move side to side at all, so I can see how that can be a hassle in a bench configuration. From what I recall reading, the BLIS belt mechanism includes an air pump that pumps air into the cross strap upon deployment and I think the air gets there through the buckle and receiver.

My previous car was a 2005 Escape and the seatbelt receivers in the back had their own different issue. The receivers were so short that they often got shoved down into the seat cushion trying to buckle in. It was always a major PITA to buckle in a kid in a booster because it was hard to try to grab the thing and get it aligned properly to snap the belt in. :thumbdwn: I had even researched getting one of those extenders, but then kept running into comments about how the extender might compromise or defeat the belt-retraction lock in a sudden stop or crash. At least I don't have that issue in the Ex with the buckets.

You're not alone. I recently bought 2017 explorer xlt with inflatable seat belt, 2nd row is 60/40, leather seats.
Yes, the middle seat is *REALLY* uncomfortable because of the buckle problem.

After some google search, I found this post. The problem was complained long time ago and not even fixed in 2017 model.

Comparing with my previous 2011 ford edge SEL, its 2nd row seat belts have no such problem because those buckles are flex/movable. (without inflatable seat belt).

Back