delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well its with a sad heart i have to report this thread will be coming to an end soon ..... but it doesn't mean an end to Vader , bought a 01 sport trac today , ill pic it up this weekend , lots of swapping to come

You should keep them both and always have a great spare, while working on the other one. I hope you enjoy the Sport Trac, I like those for hauling stuff but not have a typical pickup truck.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

its gonna sit for a while , other than cleaning it out and drivetrain removal and little things i can do with what i have , money is tight being a single dad and i gotta get through christmas , if all goes well i may find another V8 for parts , my two door is getting very rough looking and the rockers are gone , not to mention my kids need back doors now lol...the trac is black and the clear is all checked up so thats gonna be an issue , its also 2wd so i hope the front end stuff is bolt in for the diff

Gotcha, kids and more people/stuff in the back. You can swap anything in the Sport Trac drivetrain, and that's old hat to you. Get a spare front carrier etc, from another 2nd gen AWD/4WD, and build it with a Torsen. I assume you get some snow there yes?

yea i live on my family farm and need 4wd sometimes and it snows here a few times a year also , i have a 4:10 front with very low miles and i plan on rebuilding the rear i just pulled out of the two door , i really have alot of parts already,

Good luck on the new truck!

IMG_20171124_154123_781.jpg
Got it home today

That looks good, and the cat likes it. What are the front wheels from, I've seen those on something before?

I like them, I just rarely have seen them. It's funny how the OEM seems to make the styles of wheels I prefer. My first aftermarket wheels I chose are split six spokes, I got those about the time the 3rd gen's came out, but I had never seen those. I have one as a spare now, the offset is not ideal, but it'd work.

lol boomin is correct , i have all the original wheels but it had two flats up front so we put the 3rd gen wheels on

Just a little update , im leaving Vader alone , just gonna maintain it for now as its my dd , maybe go crszy with it after i get the sport trac done , and ill start a build thread for it when i start building , rt now im still in the gathering faze , got dark gray leather seats and full console yesterday along with the auto dim rearview / overhead console , sun visors , and harnes , a good set of tail lights a bed mat , front knuckles and all the hardware to install the front diff , so im slowly getting there , will be looking for a 2000/01 V8 soon for the rest of the stuff , and a 4406 of course

Very good.

I'm decent at collecting parts, finding them later after I've buried them is my biggest fault. Be diligent at organizing what you have gathered. I should make notes for the locations of things, I have mine scattered among three rooms and a storage shed, plus the garage.

I would love to see Vader get its V8 transplant, hell yea!!!
May the parts gathering continue.

Lol Vader is the two door , its the one in my signature with the V8 4406 t-case and manual hubs , i havent named the sport trac yet , not sure what im gonna call it , but its gonna be similar to Vader maybe sit a little higher and wider and have about 49 more ci or .7 more ltrs , if i survive this build and get back on vader it may get slammed and loose 4wd and gain a peddle ..... just long term thoughts and hopes

Oh yea, Vader already has a V8.
I am having way to many brain farts lately.

just an update , Vaders ( my V8 sport ) origanal 300,000+ mile 21 year old window motors started acting stupid about a month ago , so today i finally got around to fixing them , had to drill the 1/2 inch holes ford forgot on the little divits , three bolts and out came the motors , typical ground up plastic rollers inside so i cleaned them , found a steel rod the proper diameter and cut six slugs off, pliers and the bench grinder to clean the edges , packed them in with cosmoline grease , reasembled and reinstalled and all is good and functions proper again ,

I remember those little plastic things, I think they used to sell them in the help section.
Pipe should last way longer!

The plastic pucks are built in weak links. They should last a good 10+ years, and the motor sections almost never go bad. I replace those pucks in my old Fords when I get around to that kind of age maintenance. They cost about $7 a kit from any parts store.

Back