delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 Explorer C116

Here is the 98, the last one was 97

Attachments

• 1998 Connector C116.jpg
    1998 Connector C116.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 530

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ground circuit

The ground circuit is different between the two connectors, circuit 359
Oh crap, there is multiple circuit 359's too. lol.

98 wiring diagram

Attachments

• TRS 4R70W 1998.jpg
    TRS 4R70W 1998.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 369

Found the later one in the definitive pats thread but I need the description of each pin so I can make sure my Frankenstein connector will work before I chomp the c116 plug off the perfectly good 96/97 motor harness

I cant find it, im about ready to scrap this thing

Well with scrap prices down I'll offer you tree fitty for it lol. But for real, if you pull the upper intake off you can remove the entire harness and start checking that engine to trans plug. I would pull it out and start with the basics, check for wire colors matching pin to pin and go from there.

Im trying to find the pinouts with description so i can just make a harness out of two extra plugs to go between the tranny harness and motor harness, really dont want to take anything apart, im in a real bad way right now and need this thing on the road, my wife left me ,took my kids moved ten hours away with some dude she has been keeping on the side, took the mountaineer the green xlt is in her name, oh and she hasn't paid any bills for months and left the bank account overdrawn, so im pretty f...d up rite now and really need help

Oh Sh**

Dude, I am sorry to hear about all that!
Keep your head up, It will be a hard time but you will get through this.

I don't think there are pin outs in Fords stuff for these connectors. We have to follow the wires from the PCM to the trans connector and figure them out ourselves. I will try to help as best I can but am under some work related stress myself.

It seems like the pins 64 and 91 were the circuits used, the transmission range selector is a stepped resister so it just changes a voltage going back to the PCM.
You are sure you have an 8 pin connector at the TRS right?
You then ran a jumper wire from pin 64 to the TRS. Did you separate the wire that was already there? it may be going to another place as well and be throwing off the voltage reading. I will look over the diagrams and connectors I posted. Can you at least tell us what harnesses are from what vehicles?
So PCM is 1997 5.0 explorer
TRS is 8 pin from 1997?
PCM harness is from ?
Trans harness is from ?

That sucks man, keep your head up and stay strong. Life has its ups and downs, it can only get better going forward.

The pcm and engine harness are from an Mountaineer with a build date of 3/97 (I sold them to him from a part out truck).

Hey guys thanks, the motor harness and pcm are late 97 like boomin said, the tranny and its harness are early 8pin trs 96/97 , I have my brothers late 97 xlt here and i dont know why I didn't look at his before I put this tranny in, but yea his has the later 98 up style ,

What do you think about my idea of using the two extra plugs I have to make a jumper harness, I have the right ends to do it just need to figure out what wires to connect from one to the other

I understand your frustration with this. I used an early 97 motor harness with a 2000 tranny and had nothing but trouble. I finally just went to the junk yard and found an early 97 Transmission harness and it solved all of my problems so far.

Good luck, if you need pictures of my harnesses let me know. I took a few to compare when I went to the Junk Yard.

when i put the stroker in my truck, i also used the 96 trans that was behind it (mines a 98) when i put power to the truck the od light was flashing and when i put the scan tool on it, the codes where a page long. i just repined my 98 harness to match the 96 trans.

when i put the stroker in my truck, i also used the 96 trans that was behind it (mines a 98) when i put power to the truck the od light was flashing and when i put the scan tool on it, the codes where a page long. i just repined my 98 harness to match the 96 trans.

Thats kinda what I wanna do, but with a short harness made from two extra plugs, at least I now know it will work ,thank you

How much did you have to change

Im sorry guys I know im asking alot, im sitting here just completely lost

Hey guys thanks, the motor harness and pcm are late 97 like boomin said

Does this mean you have to use a 1998 wiring diagram? I don't see anything differentiating between late and early 1997 in the wiring diagrams.
1996 and 1997 are the same at C116 for circuits 199 and 359(there are 3 of these)

The late 97 with the xdt2 pcm seems to be a mix or in between model, my motor, pcm, and motor harness all match but I screwed up and put the 96/97 tranny and its harness in, I should have checked my brothers ( a late 97 xdt2 model) before I did this, his has the 98 and up tranny, or at least it has the twelve pin trs, I guess I should crawl under his an take a hard look at the other plugs and make sure as to what year version they are

Connector

Looking at the 1998 PCM and engine connector C116, and comparing it to the 1996 Trans connector C116
In theory you could repin the Trans connector side like this below.
Keep in mind it is only by looking at the circuit number and color, not all the wiring diagrams.
Use at your own risk.

Trans connector 1996
Move
11 to 6
6 to 8
8 to 11

Then move
24 to 32
wire in 32 goes no where? ( it would have gone to speed sensor on transmission?)

7 to 9
9 to 15
15 to 7

18 to 14
19 to 24
20 to 25

22 to 35
23 to 38
25 to 33
(What is in 33 goes nowhere tape it up)

31 to 36

35 to 22
36 to 31
38 to 23

Attachments

• C116 1996 and 1998.jpg
    C116 1996 and 1998.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 306

pretty much what 4pointslow posted. i think i had to add 2 power wires, and move 3 other wires.

Back