delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just retimed the cam syncro with the yellow dorman tool, seems to start a bit easyer, gonna take it for a spin in a little bit and see how it dose

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Holiday

I guess state inspection is closed where you are, I checked here in NJ and it is closed as well due to the holiday. Will you have time to take it on Monday?

Yea they are closed here today, took it for a ride and its much better, I guess the OTC tool I got is wrong, the only issue I have now is the speedo stopped working lol

Hopefully I can figure out what's going on with the speedo, if I get that squared away I should be able to get it tagged Monday, cant believe how much better it ran,

speedo

Did the speedo stop working when you switched to the latest transmission wiring harness?

The speedo worked after the harness swap but that's where I'm going to start to look, as for the tool the one I got from OTC is supposed to be for 96 /97 but the half moon is 180 away compared to the yellow plastic one that came with a dorman synchro ,that's why I questioned yours Tim, I trusted that OTC would be correct and when I called doorman the tech support guy even said he thought the yellow one was wrong and i am using the early 3 wire syncro

Found the speedo problem, the gear inside the pos 4404 is free spinning, good thing I have another early 4404 with the speed sensor

Strike that last post once I got the skidplate out of the way and could get in there I realized it was just my finger slipping, so now I've gotta scratch my head for a while and try to figure it out

The speedo worked after the harness swap but that's where I'm going to start to look, as for the tool the one I got from OTC is supposed to be for 96 /97 but the half moon is 180 away compared to the yellow plastic one that came with a dorman synchro ,that's why I questioned yours Tim, I trusted that OTC would be correct and when I called doorman the tech support guy even said he thought the yellow one was wrong and i am using the early 3 wire syncro

ok. you just made me relive my nightmare lol i remember this like a bad flashback when i was doing mine and you had said something about the tools being different or something. i even had to go back and look at my post because i started second guessing myself if i did it wrong, and remembered there was something different about the years and tools.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3389474&postcount=1460

Sorry lol, im gonna try a different gauge cluster and see what happens, everything else seems to be working fine and the speedo worked fine after the harness swap and nothing under there looks messed up so I looked at fuses and they are all ok, so i figure what the hell, gonna wait though is raining now

Mph

On my truck the MPH comes from the rear diff speed sensor, then goes to the ABS module, then it is shared to all the other modules like the instrument cluster and PCM. Your truck may be similar or different, they changed things back and forth so many times I can not keep up with it.

Do you have a scan tool you could look in the PCM to see if you are getting MPH there?

Mine comes from the case, I have a cheap scan tool but if the other gauge doesn't work I will borrow one from a friend, its just fighting me at this point

or a broken worm gear on the cluster motor? i remember that was a common issue years back

diagrams

I see where yours is different.
If you have MPH in the PCM it could be the Instrument Cluster or the circuit at connector C146

Here is the diagrams in case you need them.

Attachments

• speedometer diagram.jpg
    speedometer diagram.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 243
  • ABS diagram.jpg
    ABS diagram.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 282

You guys are awesome , my brain is not working right now with all the other crap I have been dealing with so feel free to shoot me any and all ideas because it really helps

speed sensor

The speed sensor is a two wire type, if you check it with an ohmmeter and find it reading OL,OFL, or no continuity then it is open and needs a new one.

And in another thought
That connector in the wiring diagram C146 is the one under the center console if you need to do anything with that.

Well I think I got lucky ,I swapped in a spare cluster I had and while I cant take it for a spin yet because I dont have anyone to follow me, I did go up and down my driveway and the speedo goes up and down to 15mph OK so im pretty sure its good, just sucks looking at a stock cluster instead of my white face gauges

Well I tried to take it to the DMV Monday and was rewarded with a click when I turned the key, so after screwing with it checking everything I finally pulled the starter and swapped it with a reman sohc starter I had on the shelf, after swapping the nose cones of course, got that done this morning and all was good so I took it to the gas station and filled it with 98 , rode 20 miles to the DMV and it passed everything but the emissions , hc was 301 and the limit is 220 ,no biggie got a 30 day T tag I figured id deal with it and go back tomorrow, drove another 10 miles stopped for lunch then ran a few more miles and stopped at a store then drove about 20 miles to a friends shop to say hi and after it was sitting for about an hour the horn starts honking and won't stop, tried key fob tried the key in the ignition, finally just unhooked the battery, let it sit tried to hook the battery and honk, won't start either , so i put it on a trailer and hauled it home, and walked away, cause im pissed, and want to smash it ,and burn it

Back