Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

DENVER..WTF is up with all the Cameras on the side of the road? BIG BROTHER?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Fischer, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      Well if you live in or around Denver you have probably noticed some cameras poping up lately. So, what is the deal. Sounds like an invasion of privacy to me.

BTW my girlfriend just told me she got a $80 fine of some sh@t for speeding 37 or so in a 35. Nice and mailed to her with pictures of her car and a fat fine. This really pisses me off. I don't remember a law being passed or anyone VOTING for this BS!

Interesting research...
      http://www.sense.bc.ca/.htm

Funny
      http://wheels.iwarp.com/jokes/speedingtickets.htm

Last edited: September 18, 2002
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CoryL

CoryL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      94 Eddie Bauer
      Denver must be rough. 2mph over around here is like $30, of which $15 are processing fees. $80 don't sound right.

I know for a fact that Europe has been doing this for years. Cameras can "pull everyone over," have proof with a picture, and can sit there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

The answer is to go the speed limit in the areas that you know to have cameras.

They can get away with it because the city/state owns the roads. They can do whatever they want on them. Since it is "public," invasion of privacy doesn't apply.

You can look at it and say it sucks, but think about it this way. That is one MORE cop you can have doing something useful rather than sitting in a car busting people for speeding.

4. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      Well I may be exagerrating about the 80 bones. I just got a message on my voice mail about it. So I am not sure of it yet. It is just lame how this happens and no one really KNOWS anything about it. I can't find any research on it or what or why they are there. I am sure it is for "Traffic" observation to alleviate rush hour. They will just be paid for by uninformed motorists getting crappy little letters in the mail with fines.

FREEDOM my man.

5. greenhornet3147

greenhornet3147 Active Member

City, State:
      lawrenceville, nj
      2010 Explorer XLT
      Photo Radar

I know in New Jersey the high court ruled that Photo Radar is Illegal. The NJSP wanted to try it. Having family over in England that you can go from one end of the country to the other, you can start out with a clean slate(no points) and when you finish your trip you will no longer have a License. There are some Cities that are using Camras to catch people running red lights, I belive NYC is one of them. There are camares all over NJ. on RT 1 for example the camras are used to help the flow of traffic the can adjust traffic lights the also help with accident reporting. All the feeds go to a DOT traffic control center. Check Colorado's DOT web page you might bable to watch the feeds. NJ you can:p

6. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      It sounds like you got speed cameras. We've had them for ages:- money raisers for the tax man supposed to be placed in accident black spots my ar#$* You must gang together and fight against this. 37 in a 35 is taken the p^&$$. they have to allow 7% variance for spedo inacuracies over here and that means not until 37.45 or 38 at least. Over here they have to be painted bright yellow and clearly marked with warning signs. Still get lots of people caught though even me doing 36 in a 30 just gone from 40 100 yds back. It just sucks. Please fight its your only chance to nip in the bud. Once they start getting a nice income they'll be there to stay and lots of folks will pay dearly for a silly mistake. They are realy accurate to. No one can drive watching the speedo that closely its too dangerous.

Sorry about the rant but I ask you it makes my blood boil that we the humble motorist must keep funding the sherkers. We are such an easy target. Tax on petrol (sorry gas) they have just put up the cost of a litre here to 77.9pence thats £2.95 per us gal approx $4.20 most of that is tax (over 75%). Its the thin end of the wedge. The are also going to charge you to drive into London at the rate of £5 per day run by cameras of course.

I'll stop now and have a beer only thing we got left.
      Time now 22:20

Last edited: September 18, 2002
    7. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      What time is it there. Crap!

I know. They suck, I think there are about 4 within a mile from my house. I will take a Digi and go and take pictures of all the cameras with me filpping them off...LOL

8. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      can you see your girlfriend in the picture clearly??
      if not... fight it and say ur GF wasnt driving the car at the time.

9. Goober

Goober Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Lexington, SC
      '91XLT4x4
      Well, you can say it wasn't your gf driving, but the ticket goes with the car, not the driver ( just like a parking ticket). I know this b/c my other half racked up about $200 worth in 2 weeks time and I got the bill( vehicle in my name).
      ** Esqueeze me dear! Would these be yours?

Be careful who you lend your car to.

10. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      getting a ticket for 37 in a 35 isn't right. I've known this for years, but Car and Driver recently did a test of the accuracy of speedometers. They showed the average vehicle is about 3-5% off. So 5% for your speedometer and 5% for the varyance of the radar gun, and they have to have a 10% leeway like Howard said. I know in TX the cops use a 5 mph rule of thumb: they can't pull you over if their gun reads 69 in a 65.

11. mikem74

mikem74 Member

City, State:
      Denver,CO
      '02 XLT
      yup photo radar. They just brought them back. They really piss me off as well. They were forced to get rid of them for a while because they had private Co. employees running the radar "stand" now they have to be city employees. THEY SUCK!!! If you are speeding along with the flow of traffic everyone gets a ticket. All you see is a series of flashes and get the ticket in the mail. Take your front plate off...thats how they track ya down.

12. Howard

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      If they are the new digital cameras then the radar is within 0.05% and they are linked to central control so they never run out of film and work 24x7 bst$*ds. But there must be some tollerance. I mean can you drive within 2mph all the time? Its ridiculous come on guys lets get in the real world.

13. Okrazie1

Okrazie1 Elite Zoom Zoomer!

City, State:
      Newport News, VA
      '95 Ranger
      According to the Ford repair manual, the odometer in your Explorer is considered accurate if it reads between 9.6 and 10.4 miles after driving an actual 10 miles.

14. mmpc

mmpc Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Littleton, CO
      '05 Escape: No Boundaries
      I don't know about stationary traffic cameras, but Denver's been using the "little white vans" (usually Ford Windstars) for awhile. As mikem74 pointed out, they were recently being challenged - guess they're back.

Besides photo radar, I have noticed hundreds (maybe thousands) of small cameras being mounted to the tops of traffic lights throughout the Denver metro area. Not sure what they're for, but I have to say it doesn't really bother me. I've never been a big conspiracy person - don't feel like the government is "out to get me." Probably just for traffic management...

15. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      mmpc... about those little cameras.... they arent little cameras at all.... they detect strobe flashes from emergency vehicles and change the traffic lights to allow them a green and cut down on traffic collisions..... some intersections actually do have cameras though.... they are huge and normally in a box that is a foot by a foot by 2 feet in size mounted normally on the island or the overhang of the poles....

As stated by DMV: "Driving is a privledge, not a right" If you want to break the law, you HAVE to expect to accept the consequences

16. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      there are cameras mounted every couple of hundred yards on the major interstates in atlanta. its for DOT stuff with traffic, break downs, etc mainly though. they don't catch speeding and such. although they can be used for looking at accidents. i don't mind those being there...

also.. 37 in a 35.. that's crap. being that **** is going too far.

17. Campo

Campo Elitus Explorus

City, State:
      White City, KS
      99 XLT 4x4
      I don't know if any of you remember the joke about the guy who recieved a ticket in the mail for speeding for $40.00 and mailed back a copy of 2 $20's then was mailed a copy of handcuff's...lol

I had a friend of mine when I was stationed out in DC that got a copy of a ticket (From Alexandrea, VA) in the mail and he thought of that email joke and sent the fine via copy's to the DMV, 2 day's later they impounded his Tachoma and took his license... we all thought it was a joke but it wasn't, he spent over $1500.00 to get his truck and license back.

He say's the light turned yellow when he was under it, but, he still got pegged..

Is it right? I don't know, but Big Brother is moving in.....

18. mmpc

mmpc Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Littleton, CO
      That could be, I'm actually familiar with that technology as I freelance for a fire department. But these are white plastic housings and actually mounted to the pole above the traffic light. They're also easily big enough for a modern "lipstick" camera to fit inside. Guess I'll have to ask next time I'm working with the FD...

19. Fischer

Fischer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Durango, Colorado
      95 Explorer XLT 4x4
      Nope, these are not the little things in intersections. These aren't even in intersectinos.

They are white tubular cameras on the side of the road placed atop of a phone pole with a solar panel. They just put them up within the last month.

I know about the vans with the strobes as one nearly caused me to crash on Santa Fe (Hwy 85) about a year or so ago. The damn thing flashed from the other side of the highway and blinded the crap out of me at night.

20. Nick C.

Nick C. Active Member

City, State:
      Frederick, MD
      '96 xlt
      Do radar detectors pick up the camera/radar boxes? if not why not get one, it will pay itself off in just a few weeks from the sound of it.

21. mmpc

mmpc Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Littleton, CO
      If it uses radar, a decent radar detector should pick it up. I know my Valentine 1 always picks up the photo radar vans as well as the road-side "your speed is" displays...

22. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      Those cams are at intersections most likely to make it 1000X easier to figure exactly what happened during a accident

23. Matte

Matte Active Member

City, State:
      Trollhattan, Sweden
      98 XLT 4X4 4,0i SOHC
      We have those speedingcameras here in Sweden too,
      but they are not very effective. If you have your "sunshield"
      down it will protect your face and so on. The law (in sweden)
      says that the ticket only could go to the driver.
      This week I read that the police have sugested to
      change the law just so they could get the tiket to
      the
      one who ownes the car:mad:
      I hope they don´t get thru with it.

24. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      There are liscene plate frames that will not allow the photo of your plate to come out.....thats the good news. PLus they are clear so unless a cop is really looking to pull you over and knows it's an "Illegal" plate cover you have no worries.

I always thought an officer of the law had to be present to witness a crime and issue a citation. How is a camera an officer of the law?

They tried this before and I thought the vans were banned, but I saw one the other day.

I should be allowed to view the footage from the camera's and give cops tickets too. I can GUARANTEE that when a ticket pops up for a cop car, or any city owner vehicle they throw it away, that is discrimination if you ask me...SUE SUE SUE, why not everybody else does.

If they start putting up too many camera's, the public better be smart enough to get the word out on their locations so we can start a website and keep everyone informed. Then you will just have people speeding right up to the stupid camera, slowing down, and speeding right back up, sounds safer just to let them speed......

25. Howard

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      mmpc
      In UK they always take the picture from the rear so the radar is facing away from you therefore however good your detector is it is rendered usless and the've got you again.:mad:
      Also there are some of those license protectors over here and I can tell you they don't work at all. They used to work on the film based cameras but these new digital one don't use the visable spectrum and penotrate any cover you care to fit.

26. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Unless they get the car in front of you, your detector will pick that up. Thats what they are made for, the cops can always use the trigger to get you, by the time the alert goes off it;s too late, but there is always somebody up ahead speeding too so it will pick it up when they zap them. So I guess I just have to leave it on and follow speeders all day :)