Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Details on the new Explorer Suspension

Discussion in 'Stock 2020 Ford Explorer & Aviator' started by Napalm, April 17, 2019 at 9:49 AM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
    Memphis tn
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Does anyone have any pics or info on the new suspension? I got to looking and I don't see anything with details.

I hear some rumor upper tier's will have Mag ride - but I'd be surprised at that.

I hear the rear is a full IRS setup - which I would love - but I'm surprised at that too.

So I suspect what it will get in the ranger rear but with coil springs. I'd love to see more on this. If the IRS rumor is true that explains alot. Like the rumor there is a ST model coming for 2022.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2011 Explorer Limited
    ST model coming in 2022? What are you talking about? ST model is for 2020 and plenty of pics of it on this forum from Auto shows and YouTube videos.

Heck, many of us placed orders for the ST in January/February. Cant tell if you are confused or I am confused on what you are saying.

4. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
    Memphis tn
    Yeah I flubbed that.

I was going for the rumor there would be a HO 3.5L ecoboost mill (raptor mill), modded suspension - lightened a touch - more sport model. I guess it might would be called an RS then - AWD only, etc etc.

meanwhile - back to the original question - any details on the suspension geometry and setup?

5. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
    Memphis tn
    OK so there is indeed a full multi-link rear with standard gas on oil struts and a IRS rear end. I assume so far they are the same as it on the mustang parts wise. I guess different links and springs though. And sway bars.

I've seen that stated by more than motor trend but never saw a picture of the bottom of the car. Still would like to see one. Also hearing more AL on the bottom of the car too so perhaps the links are all AL - and a AL 2 piece drive shaft. (I kid)

6. Exit32

Exit32 Elite Explorer

Media:
    2018 Explorer Platinum
    On Page 4 of the 2020 Explorer Order Guide, "Independent Front and Rear Suspension" is listed for the Explorer Base under the FUNCTIONAL heading. There's no mention of suspension for the XLT or the Limited, but the Order Guide says "Sport Tuned Suspension" for the Explorer ST and repeats "Independent Front and Rear Suspension" for the Explorer Platinum.

7. RhinoQuartz

RhinoQuartz Elite Explorer

17 Explorer Base
    Unless otherwise stated, XLT and Limited trims will receive the same as the base.

We Support Our Troops!