1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Did I Mess up?

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by 19Exp94, December 27, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 19Exp94

19Exp94 New Member

City, State:
      NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 XLT
      I'm not very knowledgable in the area of waxing. Just know the basics. I have a 1996 EB Explorer (black) and I used Turtle Wax compound on it. I followed it up with Meguir's Gold Class. The shine is great, but when you look at it in direct sunlight, you can see light swirls all over and they won't buff out by hand. Like I said, they are only visible in absolute direct light. Was this the result of not following the compound with a polisher? Can they still be removed? If so, how long can it wait before fixing? Thanks for the help.

19exp94

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Redrig

Redrig Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gettysburg,PA
      1997 Mountaineer
      You probably shouldnt have used a compound, its to abrasive.

4. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      It is fixable.... gonna need a polisher probably....

5. Redrig

Redrig Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gettysburg,PA
      1997 Mountaineer
      Im not sure. I think they make some kind of swirl remover but not sure if it works.

6. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Taking swirls off by hand is gonna be a chore, especially with our big trucks. Get an orbital polisher such as PC 7334SP from Lowes and some nice pads from CMA and use 3M's Swirl Mark Remover. This combination will take most of the swirls off the paint. The compound you used was too abrasive, hence swirls everywhere. Also, always use a microfiber towel when you are detailing your paint because IMO, cotton towels are too course for the paint. Good luck!

7. GaSouthern1

GaSouthern1 Elite LS2 -

City, State:
      Duluth, Ga
      2005 GTO
      It is going to take an high speed orbital poisher to get the swirls out, if you are not too keen on how to do it then take it to a professional. HS Orbitals are not friendly to people that do not know hot to use them as they can burn and swirl the paint easily if you are not experienced.

8. BBQ_HotDogs

BBQ_HotDogs A Man Without Wheels

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      98 Eddie Bauer (R.I.P.)
      I had the same marks on my Explorer. I used some 3M swirl remover and it took them right out. But I also used a PC on the truck. Have you clay barred it lately? If not, use a clay bar, then the 3M, then use some AIO and then a good wax. You will be ready to roll in no time.
      Hope that helps...

9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Do be careful with any product that uses "compound", or "polish" in the name. They all have grit in them. Course or fine, it is grit, and it will cut paint. It sounds like you may have used a coarse grit product. If they are fine scratches, then any orbital buffer will quickly remove them. If not, then a polish might be needed with the buffer.

Always end with a wax, or glaze. They have no grit in them. "Polish" is an abused term in paint products. Some may not have an abrasive, but it is a better rule of thumb to assume that they do. Since some polishes have an abrasive, assume that they all do.
      Good luck,
      DonW

10. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      If it helps easy your angst.... when I paint a base/clear finish...I shoot the clear and allow it to cure.... I then SAND the clear - yep....SAND it... with 3000-4000 grit sandpaper on a Dual Action sander on a foam pad.... then I wipe it down and buff up the clear to brilliance (and improved flatness due to the sanding). SO to start, sanding scratches CAN be remedied, and in some cases are routine part of the painting process. Deep scratches of big grit can present problems, but from what you describe, I'd say you can buff out the swirls you see, they sound like they are high in the clear. There are a lot of good products out there. My recommendation? Find a good automotive paint shop in your town, and let them guide you to the products they carry. I like the 3m Microfine line but there are plenty of good ones there. Try your paint store, they will be glad to help and you'll be happy for their expertise.

11. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Glacier, does a paint shop carry that fine of paper normally? I am used to 1000-1500, and I've seen many paint jobs sanded with 1000 before the final buff. I did about half of the body work on my 93 at the body shop. I did the cutting, grinding, fitting, drilling, screwing, of my quarter panel. The body man was slow, a friend, and I got tired of waiting. It took two years, start to finish, two months after I started on it.
      Night,
      Don

12. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      yes, any give auto body supply shop will have that fine of paper and any thing else you could need to complete the task.

13. Glacier991

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      Don thanks for keeping me honest. I went out to the garage and I found what I was relaying as 3000 was in fact, as you suggested 1500. I think there is one or two steps finer, but with the 3M hookit system that was my final prior to buffing. (ya get old and the finer gets smaller and bigger gets bigger.... "Why I remember the winter of '02.... why the snow was sooo deep..... etc etc) Thanks for calling me on this one...

My ultimate point in that post was that paint is a medium... leave enough medium to work with and you can do most anything. Btw... drysanding with the 3M hookit system using the dust as a guide coat was a terrific method in my opinion. and yeah... 1500 grit feels like typing paper. I do vaguely remember something higher, but I have a few 1000 and a new box of 1500...nothing higher.... so you may be right. (again).

regards...

Chris

14. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Chris, I just commented because I know how much labor it takes to buff out 1500 sandpaper scratches. I've detailed countless vehicles, and sanded and buffed acid rain Acuras many times. But that was 1988 and earlier, I forget. Let me know if you run accross a 5R55W AWD transfer case, BW4410. Thanks,
      Don