Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BB5Z-19D520-AA is the part number that shows up when I type in 2011-2015 Explorer tow hitch.

GB5Z-19D520-C is the part I'm looking at. It's from a 2016+ Explorer.

Are they interchangeable?
I don't have any experience with these hitches but according to the AutoNation website, it doesn't appear to be interchangeable. I've also seen several 'BB' designated part numbers changed to 'GB'. The former seems to be an older part number in some cases.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, now what about 4/7 pin harnesses? I've seen dozens of numbers bounced around, with prices from $50 to $250.

This is going in a PIU. I have backup sensors and Keyless Entry. No Blind Spot sensors or anything else.

People ask me why I'm doing this. Simple. We have a PIU at work with the tow package installed. So I know it can be done. This vehicle only has the 4 pin harness however.

20180815_194058.jpg

BB5Z-19D520-AA is the part number that shows up when I type in 2011-2015 Explorer tow hitch.

GB5Z-19D520-C is the part I'm looking at. It's from a 2016+ Explorer.

Are they interchangeable?

That's only the Class 1 hitch. The one I have, and that comes with the factory tow package, is the Class 3.
I just looked at the GB on eBay, from Levittown Ford. It is definitely not compatible with the earlier model years.

That's only the Class 1 hitch. The one I have, and that comes with the factory tow package, is the Class 3.
I just looked at the GB on eBay, from Levittown Ford. It is definitely not compatible with the earlier model years.
The 2" hitch called Class I is the same as the Class III. Ford calls it Class I as an aaftermarket part because the hitch itseld does not make a vehicle Class III, and it's an insurance policy to label it as a I

Got an actual part number for the tow button? Just the button, not the entire switch cluster.
Its not possible to get the switch alone, because its an assy. All switches share the same housing and probably the same circuit board and connector. You have to buy the whole 3 button switch. But it's only 10 bucks on rockauto.

Yes, I see that now....being that it's basically at $10-15 part, it's understandable.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread. I finally got around to ordering my upgrade and the wiring harness came in without the final connector.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

780BF207-B7E4-4B1F-9A64-8BF86E306A1A.jpeg

Hi! I've found some great buys on used Explorers but none have factory tow packages. I've been told that after market tow packed only are rated for 2,000 lbs towing capacity. Why is that? The class III hitch itself is rated much higher and that's what some sales persons are putting out to me. What if I add the trany cooler? Does that increase the tow capacity? What about doing a redistribution hitch? Is it based just upon the way the tow bars are attached to the frame? Just want be sure before I let these great deals go!! My cargo trailer ranges between 2,300 and 3,300 lbs loaded. Thanks!
Brian

Hi! I've found some great buys on used Explorers but none have factory tow packages. I've been told that after market tow packed only are rated for 2,000 lbs towing capacity. Why is that? The class III hitch itself is rated much higher and that's what some sales persons are putting out to me. What if I add the trany cooler? Does that increase the tow capacity? What about doing a redistribution hitch? Is it based just upon the way the tow bars are attached to the frame? Just want be sure before I let these great deals go!! My cargo trailer ranges between 2,300 and 3,300 lbs loaded. Thanks!
Brian
Transmission is entirely different.

Without towing package:
2.3T I4 engine has 6F35 transmission
3.5 NA V6 has 6F50 transmission

With towing package:
2.3T I4 engine has 6F50 transmission
3.5 NA V6 engine has 6F55 transmission

Towing package comes standard on Sport and Platinum trims, which have the 3.5TT V6 and the 6F55 transmission

Other differences include, but are not limited to:

Tow/haul button
Front valance has cutout on passenger side
Ductwork leading from front valance to PTU for increased cooling capacity
Engine oil cooler
Class 3 hitch in bumper

I forget the rest but I'm sure you get the picture.

Edit: these threads have more info too
Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/do-i-actually-have-a-tow-package.464803/page-3

Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
2000 lbs is correct. The factory tow package has several more items such as the Tow/Haul switch, oil cooler, thicker radiator and different transmission.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
2000 lbs is correct. The factory tow package has several more items such as the Tow/Haul switch, oil cooler, thicker radiator and different transmission.

Peter
I thought the radiators followed the example of HD brakes, whereby all Explorers eventually had the same one.

If you're in the market for a used Explorer and plan to tow anything, I would make sure you get one with a tow package. After looking into it and finding out the differences, I waited until I found one with everything I wanted plus the tow package. IMO, this extra cooling and beefier transmission should make for a more reliable drivetrain regardless of towing. The price difference in a used model is negligible.

As for sales peeps, they are as usual FOS. I almost bought an Explorer with all my wants but without the tow package. I told them I'd look into what it would take to add it, and found that it has to be ordered that way. When I let them know I was going to pass, they tried to tell me they can add a hitch, and the factory tow package stuff was *only* for towing "heavy" loads for "long distance". Sure buddy.

One of the reasons for buying the Explorer was to stop using our Odyssey so much to tow things as I'm afraid of the stress on its tranny, plus another couple thousand pounds more capacity with the Explorer w/tow package.

I have a 2015 Explorer XLT (3.5L V6) that did not come with a tow package. I’m looking to tow a 2,600 lb camper. Obviously this exceeds the lower limit for vehicles without the factory package so I want to install the factory parts.
I called my dealer and the mechanics said this could be done (it’s just the oil cooler, new bumper, wiring, and hitch that make up the factory package).

anyone have this done or have a good idea on cost? The mechanic said the cost is prohibitive but people have done it before.

I believe that it is also the transmission.

Why go to the expense of a bumper, just get the bolt one one, in all reality no matter what you do to your Explorer it will never be rated to tow as much as one from the factory is. Even the aftermarket harness is plug and play.

Additional transmission cooling is usually always beneficial.

Welcome to the Forum Nick. :wave:
Your thread was moved to this thread found using the Forum's "search' feature.
Even with the factory parts installed, the vehicle is legally rated for a towing limit of 2000 lbs. The factory tow package includes a different transmission and a tow/haul feature that helps govern the transmission shifting. It also includes a larger radiator and an air duct that runs from a cutout in the valance of the front bumper to the area of the PTU/transmission for cooling purposes. A weight distribution hitch is also recommended for towing over 2000 lbs.

Peter

Back