Didn't like it at first, but.. | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Didn't like it at first, but..

I like your story, depressing, very depressing, yet still entertaining.
Hopefully Ford will bring the Int Ranger because it would save them a fair amount on production costs if they did consolidate and build all Rangers the same. Not to mention a crew cab ranger would fill the gap soon to exist because of no Sport Tracs, a lot of people liked them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they offered that crew cab diesel Ranger I would have bought one instead of my Explorer.

Don't get your hopes up regarding the Ranger. From Autoweek;

"The Ford brand also gets new technology, including the EcoBoost engine in large vehicles such as the Edge crossover and possibly the Expedition SUV, sources say. But Ford sees no place in the future for small pickups, so the Ranger will be phased out."

Fords anticipated timeline thru 2013 in the article;

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100802/CARNEWS/100809987

The T6 platform will provide the new Ranger. The current platform will no longer be used, but there will be a compact truck, whether it will be called a Ranger, F100, or otherwise is still yet to be determined inside Ford.

"Finally, by the end of 2012, the Ranger is scheduled to return to the US showrooms. Last year, the F-100 was evaluated as a potential global replacement for the Ranger, but it was not awarded this prestigious position. Instead, Ford’s Australian branch was tasked with developing a brand new small truck platform dubbed T6. Unlike the current “Thai” Ranger or the upcoming F-100, the T6 “Global” Ranger is to return to its humble compact roots. The size will be very close to the current North American Ranger, and it might even shrink. The result is to be a one world-beating small truck that is happy to run on four-cylinder power. This new truck is to replace all the different Rangers around the world, along with the Bantam, Courier, and other locally-designed Ford compact trucks. While 2012 is a ways away, the T6 Ranger is being developed with US sales in mind"

Joe, do you have a source for that? I could use a small PU for the roads around here.

The story was linked over a the Ranger Station. I do know that Rotunda is in development on a compact truck. Beyond that I can't comment...

The Autoweek info came from Ford. Guess it's a jump ball at his point.

Ranger: Ford is expected to pull the plug on the aging Ranger in 2011. It's unclear whether the company will replace the compact pickup with another product.

Executives have said Ford might import a version of the next-generation small pickup sold outside North America. If so, the U.S. model would be based on Ford's T6 global compact pickup platform, engineered by Ford of Australia.

But this is unlikely because of the 25 percent tax on imported pickups. That tax would mean boosting the price of the Ranger close to that of the F-series trucks--a tough sell for pickup buyers.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100802/CARNEWS/100809987#ixzz0vaLhAZgm
Ford I beleive will keep a compact-midsize truck. There are a fair amount of buyers wanting a smaller-than-F150 truck. I doubt ford will import it. I think it will be built here in america, with the plans be imported from another foreign ranger. The 4cyl engine only?!? I'm sure its not that bad, but I'd like to see a 6cyl. Even if its just a 3.5L, like in the latest explorer. 4cyl don't seem to tow too well, at least from what I hear.

I bought a 2002 Mountaineer RWD V8, and now own a 2006 Explorer RWD V8 Eddie Bauer.

I had hoped Ford would design a unit body vehicle with significantly less weight and a few inches closer to the ground, but it seems it is only 100 pounds less than the old one, but with a V6 which does not produce as much torque as the V8, so it will be slow, and probably use as much fuel.

The base price is now greater than the $29,423 I paid out the door (with tax and license) for my new 2006 RWD EB V6, and goes way higher.

I don't like the sound of V6 engines, and certainly don't like front wheel drive, or front-drive based designs.

Therefore, I'll probably never again own an Explorer after selling the one I now have.

Our local dealer is taking orders, delivery expected in October. I think I might get my X-plan papers together and see what they say.

Hmm...orders? My opinion here: I'd wait to buy a car until I can look at it, drive it, etc, etc. I'm still going for a V8 4th gen whenever the time comes for my next explorer. :D

Hmm...orders? My opinion here: I'd wait to buy a car until I can look at it, drive it, etc, etc. I'm still going for a V8 4th gen whenever the time comes for my next explorer. :D

I didn't say anything about buying. As I've said before, I will be waiting until spring to see what, if any, problems develop before ordering. Never, ever buy the first of anything, unless you get a complete, money back guarantee :D

Well I was saying my opinion. Didn't mention nothing about buying. I said if I was buying I'd wait until I look at it. My bad on that, I did not word my last post correctly. True wait and see if any problems develop. I don't understand why anyone would want to order a car without seeing it first.

--Ford should change their warranty to a 10yr/100K miles warranty on the powertrain--

How does MSRP starting price relate to the OTD deal made with a dealer? The MSRP starting price of hte 2011 Ex is lower than the MSRP starting price of a 2010 Ex. The end deal is up to the negotiation, or the Ford papers A, X or Z plan.

Back