Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Diff or transfer box

Discussion in 'UK Explorer Owners Forum' started by Speedydannyboy, November 3, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Speedydannyboy

Speedydannyboy Member

City, State:
    Weston super mare
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLT
    Finally got round to having someone look at the whine on my ex. They took it for a quick test drive and have diagnosed either the diff or transfer box. There wasn't a ramp free for a proper look so couldn't determine which.

He told me to cut my losses and het rid of her but I dint really want to! He told me that fitting a new transfer box would cost £1000s due to the cost of importing the part. I was under the impression that the diffs can be noisey on these but drivable?

Any ideas guys!? I'm having a rotten week as it is and thus is just the icing on the shit cake!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rich uk

rich uk Active Member

City, State:
    surrey
    1998 sohc 150k Purple LPG
  4. Ian5700

Ian5700 Active Member

I believe ExplorerPartsUK in Newport will fit a secondhand transfer box for around 150.00-250.00.

5. Speedydannyboy

Speedydannyboy Member

City, State:
    Weston super mare
    2000 XLT
    I got a second opinion from a friend and he suspects the diff. Or possibly some other causes, driveshaft etc. To be fair I'm not sure how the garage I took it to could be so certain with a 30second test drive and a quick look underneath!? I guess he just didn't want to do the work.

So, I'm going to take it to my friend to look at properly. I'm a little calmer now, knowing it isn't going to be a £3grand job!