Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Diff Plug Thread Sealant – After the Fact

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Oldwolf, July 1, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Active Member

City, State:
    Cary, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
    I recently changed the rear differential fluid and didn’t know I was supposed to use Teflon tape or RTV to seal the threads. Now I have an irritating slow seep that leaves spots on the garage floor.

Is the plug thread ¾” NPT? I was thinking to buy a PVC pipe plug so that I can do a quick plug replacement. Once I get the Teflon tape on the metal plug I can swap them back again.

Hopefully I won’t lose too much fluid doing this. That synthetic fluid is expensive.

Has anybody tried this method?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    You could just drain it into a very clean pan and re-use it. That would let you fix the leak properly and not have to buy new stuff.

4. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    "assuming" the drain plug is still on the front of the diff on your 2002, just park the front tires on ramps or at least make them higher than the rear of the truck. That way the fluid is lower at the front of the diff.

Also, full is normally right below the bottom of the fill hole. That means if you open it and a little comes out, its no biggie.

~Mark

We Support Our Troops!