Differences between the Sport and Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between the Sport and Limited

USAINBOLT, the 2015 does NOT have rain sensing wipers. It does have the heated steering wheel and auto high beam plus the power 3rd row is an new option on 2015

I hope to be picking up my 2015 Sport today... I did notice that it had the heated steering wheel. I have the power third row.

What are the auto high beams? Not sure I see that listed.

Why no rain sensing wipers? Don't all new cars have those standard?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

USAINBOLT, the 2015 does NOT have rain sensing wipers. It does have the heated steering wheel and auto high beam plus the power 3rd row is an new option on 2015

Yeah! It doesn't have.. At least i power folding on third and second seat..

I hope to be picking up my 2015 Sport today... I did notice that it had the heated steering wheel. I have the power third row.

What are the auto high beams? Not sure I see that listed.

Why no rain sensing wipers? Don't all new cars have those standard?

Congrats.. I hope you enjoy your ex too.. I have 600km's now.. Can't post pics i dont know how.. LoL..

It has courtesy wipe i dont what it do yet.. I like the ambient lighting..

Congrats.. I hope you enjoy your ex too.. I have 600km's now.. Can't post pics i dont know how.. LoL..

It has courtesy wipe i dont what it do yet.. I like the ambient lighting..

Courtesy wipe is one additional wipers move some time later after you activated windshield wash. it s basically three wipes at once right after washing fluid is on windshield and one more few seconds later (courtesy) to remove leftover washer fluid.
I disabled that function since IMHO it does more harm than good.

"I do not think an extra 50-ish horsepower is going to over-power the Limited's suspension."

It sure wont help and having driven a V8 SUV during the Explorer rollover period of infamy a sure footed suspension that is very well matched to the powertrain is pretty mission critical. It's 75 more Hp and 95 more ft/lbs or torque and peaks achieved through low lag turbos- if you don't think those matter in how the vehicles are driven, thus how the suspension needs to perform, it's the % difference between a performance tuned V8 mustang and a ho hum driver V6 of past. I suppose some skidpad results would help sort the 2 suspensions. if either of us really cared to explore that (pun not intended ;-)

"but it is not going to be a death trap because of the extra HP either."

I don't think I made that exaggeration (I'm an engineer not a salesman ;-)

"As for options, it is simple...they usually weigh more and the intent of the Sport is "sportiness" thus it needs to keep the weight off. "

I'm talking rain sensing wipers & HID headlamps (yet the Sport has 2nd row console , bucket seat, and DVD entertainment options) so clearly options allowed are not about needing to keep the weight off. If you don't get why HIDs are performance driving then why ignore BLIS & adaptive cruise options are categorically visibility/distance vs speed options too.

"as I said before than what is the point of trim-lines?"

As I answered before a the top spending tiers it's drivetrain & suspension - same with other makes & marks. While I'm sure there are equally confounding examples it's unusual that any make or mark would leave out arguably performance features (HID or smarter wipers) for higher priced higher performance models - Explorer seems like one where the driving sporty experience, and better lighting, has inexplicably escaped the decision makers list. Go figure - maybe we can blame the bean counters again - on a related note I still bet it's something they'll add next year just like this year the Sport got towing std and once LTD only heated steering wheel as an option (which my hands will appreciate this winter on early am or late pm twisty backroads).

"I do believe these are the same questions/debates that happen at Ford, and I can see how hard it is to accommodate what everyone wants. I am just happy that Ford got most of it right! "

Agree - wouldn't if be fun if they listened to some of us (the ones who wanted to spend more for more value added especially - it shouldn't be a hard sell). Yes, they got it mostly right BUT I also note they get it (more options for the Sport) more right each year as is evident by additions YOY. I suppose it's something to throw at buy or leasers when a platform is a otherwise same carryover platform for 4-5 years. I figure since I'm spending ~$50K for a sports-ute and am willing to pay more for options that should/could be as easily offered that I get to complain this time just a little. Doing the HID lamp mods the right way myself is going to be a PITA and as a customer and a F investor I'd have been happy to see these DIY's offered factory. Likewise with the remote app underpinnings that I'm having dealer installed tomorrow.

Ok it' been fun to rap about but it's obviously academic because A) we got what we got B) We get what they give and if we buy it's a proxy of approval C) they don't really listen to end users as much as they should as evident from the Infotainment/UI debacle of the last 5 or so years (not rocket science - and product development & user interfaces is what some of us do for a living so we know so it shouldn't be so fouled up for so long).
Aren't we smart ;-)
Cheers!

You seem to know a lot about engineering stuff, as you mentioned you are obviously an engineer. I thought you would be the best one to ask this technical question: I had an accident involving my 2014 Explorer Sport. The right front wheel/tire literally broke off from it's place (the highest impact was on the rim), suspension is totally damaged as well as the steering column. Here is the question: If I did not find used suspension part for a sport, can I go with the normal suspension that comes on the XLT or the limited?? What would be the risk if I do so???

I know it is a tough question but you are an engineer ;)

You seem to know a lot about engineering stuff, as you mentioned you are obviously an engineer. I thought you would be the best one to ask this technical question: I had an accident involving my 2014 Explorer Sport. The right front wheel/tire literally broke off from it's place (the highest impact was on the rim), suspension is totally damaged as well as the steering column. Here is the question: If I did not find used suspension part for a sport, can I go with the normal suspension that comes on the XLT or the limited?? What would be the risk if I do so???

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Although I'm not an engineer, I don't think it is advisable to start mixing different suspension parts. The Sport has a different suspension for a reason and mixing different parts together will undoubtedly effect the stability/performance of your vehicle.
BTW, the member you quoted last posted December 24, 2014.

Peter

You seem to know a lot about engineering stuff, as you mentioned you are obviously an engineer. I thought you would be the best one to ask this technical question: I had an accident involving my 2014 Explorer Sport. The right front wheel/tire literally broke off from it's place (the highest impact was on the rim), suspension is totally damaged as well as the steering column. Here is the question: If I did not find used suspension part for a sport, can I go with the normal suspension that comes on the XLT or the limited?? What would be the risk if I do so?

The suspension on the Sport is completely different.

Spring rates are different
Shock dampening is different
Spring size is different
Ride height is different, 20mm lower on Sport
Cross strut tower brace is different.
Sway bar torsional resistance is different.
Wheel width is different.
EPAS steering ratio and set up is different

Lots more too, and while you can probably fit the pieces in place of the old, the vehicle isnt designed for those pieces so it would likely lead to more issues you dont want.

I was frustrated by the differences between Sport and Platinum myself. I ended up going for a Sport in the end because I cannot stand wood trim. Here are some pics of my new 2017 Explorer Sport!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-explorer-sport-picked-up.450781/

Also I deeply compared platinum vs sport, but ultimately chose sport:
  • +No wood grain! This was very important to me. Red accent stitching and aluminum/carbon inlays is to my tastes.
  • -Blacked out exterior. I preferred the chrome on platinum, but blackened look is growing on me.
  • -Canadian's can't option the 500W stereo in the Sport, but the 380W is good enough for me.
  • -Don't get lane assist nor park assist. But I don't care about those features, and seeing I've never had them before, I will never miss them. Besides, now I have an awesome backup camera!
  • -Don't get massaging seats
  • -Don't get rain sensing wipers.
  • -Digital dash is different. Sport has big center physical dial with left and right digital screens. It works fine, and is well organized, it's just different. That's kind of why I wanted Platinum at first.
  • +Got under the luxury tax limit in BC with Sport. Platinum would have taken me over the threshhold and it would have added another $2k in taxes to the price. That won't apply to most other folks.

Haha, sorry! I somehow don't compute the difference between Sport and Limited. What makes it extra confusing is the F-150 has a top tier Limited trim

Haha, sorry! I somehow don't compute the difference between Sport and Limited. What makes it extra confusing is the F-150 has a top tier Limited trim
Isn't top tier for F-150 Platinum as well or it is Lariat?
Did my homework , it is Limited apparently for F-150. Ford is not consistent as usual...

The thread is Sport vs Limited.

Peter

We should combine Sport vs Limited vs Platinum altogether, otherwise its going to be two more threads... lol

One small change to your details list of differences. The Limited offers a 10 way passenger seat while the Sport gives you a 6 way power seat in the 2014 Sport.

I like many Sport owners are a bit frustrated that Ford doesn't have a 402a package (mirror of the 302a package of the Limited) giving you the option to get many more features, especially the safety features. With Ford Explorer's, you really can't have it all! That's frustrating because in 2009, I could have it all (all options that is) with my Ford Escape.

it may be different if they call it Explorer UNLimited... but now you are stuck with "Limited" :)

Back