Differences between years 1991-1994 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between years 1991-1994

Interesting topic. Сlutch slave cylinder and clutch pipe is different. In vehicles in 1991 from the clutch slave cylinder duralumin body. And there is a thick line pipe directly from the master cylinder. Clutch master cylinder is slightly different than in vehicles from 1993 model year.
14767966_m.jpg

14767967_m.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've read about a few more possible differences in other threads specific to these items. I can't confirm them personally, but I'm sure the forum can. Especially you guys with several 1st gens.

1: the parking brake may have been changed in 93
This one I doubt. If its true I would not be surprised. Ford might have needed to make the change in order to fit the 93-97 ranger.

2: overhead console
From what I have read in the other threads. 93 up the body above the windshield is pre punched to accept an ohc, even if your trim level didn't get one. And 92 down does not. Of course I had my headliner out earlier this summer, but I didn't know to check.

3: unique seats
The 91 has a different mounting location from the 92-01. I have 97 mountaineer seats in my truck, but the 'feet' were all ready modified to fit a B2 first. Again I'm just echoing what was mentioned in seat/interior threads.

Discuss.
And hit that thanks button on nate's first post with the list. This thread is useful for newbz and experienced explorer enthusiast. It's added a few things to my future upgrades list.

1: the parking brake may have been changed in 93
This one I doubt. If its true I would not be surprised. Ford might have needed to make the change in order to fit the 93-97 ranger.

2: overhead console
From what I have read in the other threads. 93 up the body above the windshield is pre punched to accept an ohc, even if your trim level didn't get one. And 92 down does not. Of course I had my headliner out earlier this summer, but I didn't know to check.

3: unique seats
The 91 has a different mounting location from the 92-01. I have 97 mountaineer seats in my truck, but the 'feet' were all ready modified to fit a B2 first. Again I'm just echoing what was mentioned in seat/interior threads.

Parking brakes are different, nearly the whole mechanism. The adjustment is done at the equalizer on 91--92 models and the pedal is self adjusting on 93--94 models.

The overhead console differences make sense as the limited and subsequent "electronic group" options were available as of 93, which both included the OHC. My 94 Eddie has the OHC, tintable mirror, and auto headlights from the factory as does my 94 limited. But no fog lights oddly enough.. I will have to look at my J.P. project and see how the roof is. The shell is a 94. I think there is a mounting spot for the bracket on the OHC, but i'm not for sure. It started life as an XLT.

You have me curious now about the 91's seat mounting. Mine 91 Eddie 2dr has B2 seats in it from the factory, but i didn't know the seat mounts were 91 specific. Is this a floorpan difference? I'm gonna have to look at that.

You have me curious now about the 91's seat mounting. Mine 91 Eddie 2dr has B2 seats in it from the factory, but i didn't know the seat mounts were 91 specific. Is this a floorpan difference? I'm gonna have to look at that.

Yes, floor pan changed.

My '94 has the abbreviated engine cover as you show, above.

I always wondered about that -- is mine broken? I guess not, now that you posted this.

Any ideas why Ford did that? Does the 91-92 cover not fit on EGR vehicles? Or just to give better access to the TPS and throttle body? It's strange.

They probably realized it was less space taken up when you take them off and throw them in the corner because they do nothing except get in the way. I'm only half joking, but It looks like you can get to the nut for the air duct tube where you can't with the bigger cover. I'm guessing its only purpose is to keep people from messing with the throttle with the hood open. With that thinking, you get the same job done with half the materials, and have better access for maintenance using the newer style guard.

I'm only half joking, but It looks like you can get to the nut for the air duct tube where you can't with the bigger cover.
I think the same. It is necessary to unscrew the cap to remove the duct. This is somewhat annoying. Though not to install it.

Back