• Register Today It's free!

different engine

drshakenbreak

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
i finally made my decision to rid of the old 4.0 V6 and get a v8. Well, my first plan was to get the 5.0 302 like in the newer explorers but i talked to a friend and he told me i might as well go a lil bigger and get a ford small block. So i did. I found an amazing deal about 100 miles from where i lived on a 351. the engine was out of a '73 bronco but had been rebuilt in '89 and bored 30 over. Well the guy also sold me a rebuilt auto trans and 205 transfer case. he sold me the whole setup for $150, so i was really happy. He said it was runnin strong when he pulled it from his truck 6 months ago. well we finally got home and i started tearin it apart. Got all the cables, pumps, and hoses off. Then i took the intake and heads off, come to find out... the engine was rebuilt after '89 (which the label on the oil pan said it was last in 89) and was bored over 40. This only made me happier. then i was finally able to move the engine around by hand in the trailer so i took the tranny off. the torque converter was a ***** cuz i couldn't really jack it up in the trailer we had but i got it. then i drained the oil and took the pan off, flipped the engine over and found that the pistons are made for performance and almost brand new. I took them out and then i was able to carry the rest into my garage. My plans are to hot dip it, and clean all the parts in it, get aluminum heads and aluminum intake. When im all finished im gonna put it in my 92' sport. Im gonna get 4.56 gears and MAYBE new axels, new drive shafts and lift. Now i want to know how many of you think im crazy?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think your crazy :confused:

Is this a carbed engine? I can only assume since its rebuilt in 89
You have ALOT of work ahead of you but it can be well worth it in the end.
I suggest new alxes front and rear and a lift, along with ALOT of other things to handle the power from your new SB and drivetrain....

351 is a TIGHT fit.
Is this truck a dialy driver or a toy? off road toy or on road?
just curious and LETS SEE PICS!

its carb'd so im gonna end up fixing up a new hood, and this is my project for offroadin. it is currently a daily driver but im getting another 4 door SUV for 200 bux which gets twice the mileage so that will be my new daily driver. and the explorer will be all toy. and it looks nice in there. my 351 is a modified so its just a lil bit bigger than a windsor. but its gonna be fun puttin everyting in. only thing im worried about is the tranny cuz its soo much bigger than my stock one, and the floor gets in the way a lil bit to get it out but the exhaust won't be in when i put the new engin in. i will most definitely have before and after pics....

Back