Different sized spare | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PattyAnn

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I have a 99 explorer. I had new tires put on on Saturday. Drove to work today & got a pece of metal stuck in my tire. It is destroyed. Put full size spare on it, but it doesnt match the size of the other tires. My husband said if the auto 4 wheel drive kicks in, it could cause some major problems. Is this true?

Also Im getting the new (correct sized tire) put on after work. But its supposed to rain. possibly snow at some point)

Yes, it can damage the system.

Also- you posted in the 2011+ Explorer subforum, you would rather be HERE

Do you know if you have a limited slip rear differential or not? I'm assuming yours is like mine, big tires from Ford on all 4 wheels, tiny spare because there isn't enough room underneath for a full size one (as you'll discover if you try to put the flat tire/wheel where the spare usually goes, mine won't fit either)

If you do not have the limited slip rear differential, it doesn't really matter if you put the small tire on the front or back. It's not a great situation, but will get you safely from the side of the road to a near(ish) tire shop for repair, whether the ControlTrac kicks in or not. If you DO have a limited slip rear diff, then you probably don't want to go more than a very few miles with the small tire on the back on one side and a full size tire on the other, it could damage your limited slip. In either case the 4x4 system will be fine.

Also, just a head's up. My spare is the original Firestone, and printed on it in large letters is 45mph Max. If you've still got this as your spare too I'd take it easy on it...

Back