Differential Identification?

IlyushinYakovlev

Reaction score
City, State
Valparaiso, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4x4 XLT 4.0l V6
Hello,
My name is Ilyushin Yakovlev, I'm 17 years old and I live in Valparaiso, Indiana. This is my first post on the explorer forum (or any online forum for that matter), so please forgive me if I've missed this information elsewhere in a previous post.

First let me say that I am undoubtedly thankful for this site and all of its loyal users, as information found here has helped me save hundreds of dollars and solve countless issues and questions without dealer/repair shop help.

I have a 1996 Explorer XLT 4x4, 4.0l V6, Automatic, with 214,000 miles on the odometer. So far I've replaced the alternator, belt, lower ball joints, drivers side upper control arm, and a few odds and ends of 200k+ expected maintenance items. Seeing as my Ex has spent most all of its life here in Northwest Indiana, it has been exposed to a lot of highway salt during the winter months and therefore suffers mildly from patches of surface corrosion in a few places (primarily to various exhaust system components and inner rear wheel wells). While this information may be irrelevant to my question, it is simply meant to provide a bit of background for my Explorer.

However, as many of you here have reported with your 96' Explorers, my front differential pinion seal has begun to show signs of a slow and steady leak. Because of this, I plan to purchase a seal and bearing kit in the next few weeks, and nip this particular problem in the bud before it gets out of hand or causes conditions of greater severity. While I am familiar with the process of removing and rebuilding differentials, I must admit that when Auto Zone asked me if I had a Dana/Spicer 28 or Dana/Spicer 35 front axle, I was stumped. Furthermore, there is apparently an option with the seal/bearing kit for either a Dana/Spicer 35 or Ford 8.8" ring gear for the rear differential, which I am not tackling at this point in time.

Therefore, I felt that there was no better place than this forum to ask for help. Based upon the information provided above about my Explorer, could someone possibly explain to me exactly which front and rear differential my Ex is equipped with?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort to both read and respond!

-Ilyushin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your front diff is a dana 35
Your rear is a ford 8.8

Front is an open differential, back is a limited slip differential. I have vids on how to do a fluid change in the link below.

Front is an open differential, back is a limited slip differential. I have vids on how to do a fluid change in the link below.
How did you arrive at Limited Slip from the description given?

If it were limited slip, wouldn't there be an "L" located among the numbers on the rear differential's ID tag?

If it were limited slip, wouldn't there be an "L" located among the numbers on the rear differential's ID tag?

One metal tag on the diff would read something like 3L73, another tag would state to use 75W140 synthetic fluid only (assuming they are still there).
Or the door code would start with a D.

Back