• Register Today It's free!

Differential Shock Absorber

tobybul

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Is it necessary to replace the single shock absorber attached to the differential?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is worn or damaged, replace it...it's there for a reason.

If it is worn or damaged, replace it...it's there for a reason.

Whats a good way to chk if it is worn or damaged? Symptoms when driving?

Have a close look at it, to see if it is leaking.

That shock absorber controlls the sway of the rear part of the vehicle in (sharp) turns.
It also have some benefit at high torque, when the shaft tries to warp the leaf springs. That's why is used on all V8 engines.
Remember, the rear of this vehice is "hold in place" only by the lateral stifness of the leaf springs.
The fact that some people took it off and didn't feel nothing is because their was worn out and didn't do anyhing anyway.
I did replace mine (with Monroe SC2958, special made for horizontal mounting application) and it was a sensible improvement in handling around curves and quick lane changes at highway speeds.
My old one it was moving almost freely by hand. It is a very easy swap (wheels stay on) and is not an expensive part. Hit it with PB Blaster 30 minutes before if is rusted.

P1060860.png

My take on the "5th" shock. If it is so important, why did Ford NOT put it on all their rear leaf spring equiped vehicles? I have owned a number of Ford trucks, and not one of them had this shock. Mine was not worn out, you could hardly push it in or pull it out when one side disconnected, while under the vehicle. However it did make a clunking noise when going over bumps. I had removed it once before, could not tell a difference in ride or handling. Reinstalled it, no difference. When I found it to be the noise maker, I removed it. Truck still gets blown all over the road in a cross wind with or without the shock, so did my GMC 2500 HD. Just my experience, your vehicles, you all do what you want. Me, I'm leaving mine off.

My take on the "5th" shock. If it is so important, why did Ford NOT put it on all their rear leaf spring equiped vehicles? I have owned a number of Ford trucks, and not one of them had this shock.
Because those vehicles have a lower mass rear, lower gravity center on rear side and therefore the rear part of the vehicle doesn't twist so much the leafs on curves (less side-torque) as the cab on an 4 door Explorer. Plus the trucks tend to have stiffer leaf springs due to higher loading capacity.

Your shock was ovioulsy damaged, rubber gasket is worn out, rubbing the piston against cylinder wall, metal-on-metal. It does not provide damping, just friction. I bet it doesn't rebound by itself (the case when is new, filled with nitrogen under pressure). Normal that you don't feel anything.

Also, in your oppinion Ford just put that shock there for nothing, by accident? That's just silly.

Like I said, you do what you wany with your truck, I' ll do what I want with mine. Besides, I don't drive like an idiot. I have absolutely no problem observing the speed limits, unlike some on here have said. Ring a bell anyone?

Besides, I don't drive like an idiot.
Yep, Ford put that shock only for idiots.
Speed limits have nothing to do with cornering. If you have to slow down to 5 mph to take a street turn, because you decided that the parts that came factory mounted on your vehicle are not necessary, then is not only your problem, is everybody's behind you.
I did try to explain rationally why that shock was put there by engineers, but you choose to insult me.
Let me see where is that nice "Ignore" button...

It's obviously there to help with side play, go buy a new one and quit acting uppidy. I'ma get the motorcraft shock in a few weeks. And probably some new ranchos to :)

Is it necessary to replace the single shock absorber attached to the differential?

It will help with side to side roll if you do.

I replaced mine. It greatly reduces the feeling that the rear is skipping through turns.

Just swapped out all 5 shocks on my Explorer. Monroe all around; OESpectrum in the front, load assist in the back and the 5th shock as well.

Huge difference in ride compared to the factory originals from 1999!

what did you pay for the 5th shock?

Now here's something I've read about the damper and am curious about. Guys that are lifted, have to remove them because they no longer function properly and will extend too far anyway. How true is this? I pulled mine off my 96 because it was completely rotted out and have yet to put one back on. Then after reading that I haven't bothered.

Truck seems to handle fine, but then again I also have an X spec kit with an AAL and all new Rancho shocks and new suspension bushings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

time to dig up an old thread. I'm just guessing but seems to me that the 5th shock could help with side to side sway while towing.? perhaps?

Back