Difficulty switching from heat to a/c, and back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difficulty switching from heat to a/c, and back

GIJeff

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
My 2007 Explorer has difficulty switching from the heater to the air conditioner, and vice versa. When going from one temp to the other, I start hearing a "clicking" in the dash. Normally the speed and volume of the clicking (anywhere from a "tap" to a "thump") relate to the level of air I'm blowing out. I know little about how the system works, but it almost seems like there is a vent that adjusts depending on whether it is hot or cold, and it is getting stuck when switching back and forth. After a bit of tweaking, it'll normally make the switch.

Does anyone know what this may be? If so, is this an easy fix? A friend of mine had a similar problem in a Mercury SUV and she said she had to pay approx $600 to get it fixed. I couldn't get much information out of her on whether it was the same problem or not, and what they did to fix it. I'd rather diagnose the problem myself, find a mechanically inclined friend and pay him to fix it for much less since I'm broke!

Back