1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dilemma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 01exsport, June 22, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 01exsport

01exsport New Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '01 Sport
    Hey all! New to the site and have a dilemma.

I just paid off my 2001 Explorer Sport. I love the vehicle but have some problems with it. Here goes...

Rust, I didn't take the best care of it but I really want to shine her up, lift it etc. Nothing too major but some off roading fun and I want her to look sweet. So both rear wheel well quater panels are rusted through just above the plastic. I removed the side steps do to sagging and rust plus I like the look better without them. Rear tailgate, rusted through below where it actually latches and almost on the other side, whole bottom of the tailgate.

Transmission, I hear the tranny I have in my truck stinks and I'm starting to find that out. It has also blown a tranny line right at the radiator that I need to fix, currently I'm topping her off with fluids, it's a slow leak.

4 Wheel drive, it's messed up (maybe transfer case?), haven't diagnosed it but it whines above 35MPH, I use it only when I need to in the winter and stay at 35 or slower.

So with all these problems (could other cosmetics, number locks don't work, driver side window needs fixing) do I put the time and money into her...is it worth it? Or do I try to get 1000/1500 and trader her in. I like to do my own work on her but certain things are not possible, like replacing a tranny.

Thanks for reading, I know I'm asking a lot here and don't have photos.

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars