Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

directtv, cable, or digital cable?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by swak6287, September 26, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. swak6287

swak6287 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Rockwall tx
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      99 XLT
      am getting a house and i wnat to get some more channels then the rabbit ear offers. direct tv has 110 channels for $32 with free install and equiptment. i dont know what the others offer though. a
      what do u guys think? is there a hidden charge like activation fee and stuff like that?
      thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Brandon4AU

Brandon4AU Wannabe "Elite Explorer"<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Montgomery/Auburn, Alabama
      '96 XLT
      I have Charter digital cable at my apartment. I really like the set up and get alot of the normal channels. Unfortunately no movie channels (because of my package). Prices depend on where you live. In my hometown I could get my package for $50 but here in Auburn where there is no competition. I am paying $75/month. This package includes cable modem. But check with your local digital cable providers and see what they say. $32 sounds pretty dang good though.

4. swak6287

City, State:
      Rockwall tx
      99 XLT
      i know it is a great deal. just want to check and see if anyone else here think about this offer or if anyone has seen it. it is on directtv.com in the special offer packages.

5. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Time Warner Cable has always been King down here, and since the early 90s has been very good and reliable. Far less outages than satellite, and outages usually only last 5 minutes or so, a bad one is about 50 minutes. I usually notice about 5 or so outages a year. Between regular cable and digital, you just have to check out the prices and channels. There's lots of cool stuff with digital now, like pay per view with vcr type controls and anytime starting. Many movie channels also have "free" controllable movie channels if you pay for one of the premium packages.

I've watched satellite at many different places, including it being the only tv at the summer camp I work at occasionally. IMO cable beats it hands down.

6. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

My DSS: $35 basic (2 receivers)
      $5 a small add-on including VH1C
      $20 7 HBOS & 3 Cinemaxes

$60 total, it is a bit steep, but we like the movie channels. We use a power antenna out on the dish for the locals, but never come in very clear. I don't mind, the only shows I watch on local TV are The Simpsons ans King Of The Hill. The fiance watches sitcoms and crap tho, so sometimes she is dis-pleased with it.

I can't stand my local cable company (AT&T), they are just an incredible PITA to work with.

Yes, the outages are a pain. Ours come and goes with basically every storm that comes through.

Robb

7. Broccoli1

Broccoli1 Active Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles CA
      Explorer '93 xlt
      I've had Directv for 2 years without a drop out. I also like the menu features on this system over the cable that I had.
      The 32.00 is a flat fee. You might have to pay an extra 5.00 for your local channels. Also with satellite you can subscribe to east coast ABC,NBC etc and watch the shows earlier(if you wanted)
      For 32.00 you might as well try it, eh?

8. Joe93

Joe93 Elite Dakota

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Well since I am the cable guy i will voice my opinion. I would say that 8 out of 10 of the customers that I hook up with digital cable or analog cable are usually switching back over from sat. Their major complaints about satellite is the bad reception durring a storm or bad weather and not beingable to get you local stations like the news and stuff. Also where I live the dish has to be facing a southwest direction to work. I personally like the digital cable myself. But I just got Direct Tv put in last month. The cable Nazi's Adelphia hiked up their prices here so I just switched to the dish, a little cheaper and havn't had anyproblems yet. Where I work AT&T is offering some good deals right now. I'm just waiting for AT&T to take over adelphia then ist back to Digital cable for me.

9. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Oh, and here standard cable is about $35 for 80 channels, Digital is $45 for like 140 channels, and $65-70 gets you something crazy like 300-350 channels.

10. Mike

Mike Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      I work for cablevision (cable in NY Longisland).. and i can tell you that our didital cable kicks ass lots of channels and no problems with tv like dish has...

Mike

11. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      i like cable still..
      i have charter communications.. extended basic cable (like 200 channels, but 120 are those stupid music ones) and a blazing fast cable internet line for $62/month total. i'm happy with it but then again.. i don't spend a lot of time in front of the tv other than watching the fox news channel.

12. Brandon4AU

Brandon4AU Wannabe "Elite Explorer"<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Montgomery/Auburn, Alabama
      '96 XLT
      See look at that. Jasonb and I have the exact same cable, same company, and same modem yet mine is edging on $80/month. I wish Knology would come to Auburn.
      Then again you might have a faster cable modem than me too. I have the Bronze version. It is quick but my computer is brand new too. 2 Gig compared to my parents. Their cable modem is pretty slow.

13. swak6287

City, State:
      Rockwall tx
      99 XLT
      i alwaysa thought that cables are always more expensice to activate and monthly are expensicve also. i did not know that there are cable that is only about 35 bucks. anyone in the dallas area uses cable? how much?