1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dirty Xbox?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by jimbo74, December 29, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      I seem to be having a problem with the Xbox i jsut bought, I bought it used, at what I am thinkaing about now may not have been that great of an idea.. Anyways, I picked up a DVD player pack for it and 3 used games from Gamestop.... Heres where the fun starts: on The Simpsons Hit & Run it takes forever to load, if it loads at all.. I was watching Shrek 2 (brand new DVD my lil sis got me for Christmas) and every once and awhile it would skip, and in the middle of the movie it completely froze and didn't recover... on Monster Garage, the game works fine, but the people's narratives seem to be skipping or fading in/out.... on Test Drive Off-Road Wide Open the music skips and the game occasionally freezes up for a split second at the same time the music skips

now it is possible it could be the games... however, i took all 3 of the games today to my friends house, and played all 3 of the used games i picked up without a problem at all....

this leads me to beleive there is an issue with my xbox... what can i do? i went to radioshack and got a "dvd head cleaner" its a cd with 6 little brushes that protrude from the data side of the cd... it seems to have helped, but the games still dont play correctly..... what can i, should i do?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Probably a dirty lens.. thought the DVD roms do go bad in those systems. I've done this before because of a dirty disc error. Take the system apart, pull the DVD-rom, unscrew the casing and clean the lens with some rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip. Might solve your problem. If not, I'd get a new dvdr (it would have to be from an XBox). They sell them on eBay (Samsung is the rarest, best, and most expensive).

4. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      ok, not sure if this is the problem or not, but it got me to start researching... the units are like $75 for a new modified version of an upgraded drive? what does all this mean? whats the stock drives #? and buying through ebay, is it possible they will get damaged during shipping? like the new drive get a dirty lens or something?

my xbox does work.. it hasnt died completely.... i did play sega gt 2002, jetset radio future, star wars clone wars and tetris worlds on it with no problems at all...... but i just really dont know whats going on with it... and would like to learn, i want it fixed... the simpsons game is fun ;) but my xbox is having a really hard time trying to play it...

5. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      just thought of other stuff that may help diagnose my problem.... it sounds liek the drive is turning on and off... not just like on once and then off once, but in spurts like on for 2-3 seconds, then off for a couple seconds, then on again for the same amount, then off again, then on again.... all basicall in 2-3 second cycles continuously

6. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      The upgraded unit is just a better drive. It's a PC drive set up to work in an XBox, the 616T. If you were to buy another drive you should get the 616T or the Samsung SDG-605. The SDG-605 came in some XBoxes and is the best standard drive. Many times when drives get dirty they do what you're experiencing. It tries to read it for a couple seconds, then stops, then trys again. Try cleaning the lens by disassembling the drive before you buy a new one.

7. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      how would i go about disassembling the drive? stuff with little computer parts scare me.. what about grounding myself to the case? also i got a dvd cleaner from radioshack with 6 brushes on the bottom, it was supposed to help, should this have been sufficient? or should i try to take it apart? how is the upgraded unit better? and whos the best person on ebay or all they all basically the same? i was looking at the ones that are a direct plug and play of the modifed upgraded version... these woudl be the proper ones correct? or the 605?

8. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      just remebered something else that may be of importance...... when playing the simpsons while driving homers car, sometimes a blue lake would appear as the street, and i could drive the car fine on this lake, and i know its not a lake and it shouldnt be there... when i tried on my friends xbox no lake problem at all..... also on my xbox, every so often also on hte simpsons, a black screen would take over for a split second with white writing... i could never decipher what it said as it was too fast, but it did say "disk" somewhere near the end of the message

9. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Hm, that's not good. The video card could be going or have a problem or your hard drive could have something wrong with it. If your friend will let you, unscrew the 6 screws on the bottom of his XBox, unplug the 2 DVDr plugs and try his DVDr out in your XBox. If you have the same problems it's obviously not the DVD-rom. Hard drives are not interchangeable so you would either have to get a chip (modchip) and swap a hard drive from another XBox (or a new HDD to use the chip as it's meant ;)) or you'd have to get a new motherboard with matching hard drive. If your problem is the video card then you're pretty much screwed. Hopefully it's just the dvd drive!

10. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      so should i try to disassemble the dvd drive first and clean it with rubbing alcohol and a qtip?

i thin k iremeber a little mroe about the black screen, it migth have said something like the disk is dirty and needs cleaning or something

11. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      ok took it apart and tried to clean the lens.... nothing... it seems a little bit faster... but it still slow and the blue lake is still there....

also its doing the on/off sequence again...... also i noticed that when loading the harddrive is making a lot of noise... should it be when loading? or what? its a philips cdrom drive with a western digital hd

12. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      just talked to mbrooks on aim... he didnt even hear any of my symptoms but i told him my xbox had problems that i jsut got used.. he immediately said sounds like the head is out of alignment and said that the shipping might have done it.... i told him it came across 2 states in 4 days via UPS and he said that was probably the problem right there..... i also told him i cleaned it and he said thats good.....

13. X~FACTOR

X~FACTOR Name is Ray

City, State:
      Valley Stream, Long Island
      '97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
      A used X-Box cost $129 + accs, compare to a new one ($149) at Games Stop. I was thinking of getting a used one but it sounds like its not worth saving $20. Not by a long shot! Another member, Clarkkent, was having the same problem with his PS2. Might want to check that out.

14. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      well after doing more research and talking to more people, it seems i have the phillips rom and its marginal at best.. the thompson sucks and the samsung is awesome... looks liek i will be gettign a samsung drive as soon as i can afford it....

15. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Probably your best bet, but I still think you should test your friend's drive in your XBox. No use buying a new drive it that's not the problem.

16. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      my friends not going to let me open up his xbox and try it out.. his is still under warranty and its newer.....

anywyas... i know ebay has the samsung 605, do they come with warranties? or is it luck of the draw?

also can i get the drive locally? if so, where would i look to getting it?

17. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      You probably won't find it locally.. eBay is the best you'll find. Make sure they say it works.

18. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      all of the sellers on ebay say that it works.... but very few of them offer insurance that it does work.....

what about the modified drives? should i even look at those? or stick witht the samsung 605?

also the modified samsung drives, they sometimes have differnt letter prefixes what are these?

19. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      I'd just go with the 605. The prefixes are probably color codes.

20. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      ok the drives for the aftermarket are SD-616T or SD-616F whats the differnce? both appear to be plkug and play according to the sellers....

also anyone have experience with them? i dont want a drive that comes with a 10 day warranty to have it die on me in 11 days

21. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      I'm not sure, I'm guessing it's the firmware. Both would be better than any other drive though.

22. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      i cant use my paypal right now because i have no $ in the bank (actually im negative)

but i do have cash..... so what i might do is go talk to the guys at gamestop.. they are all nerdy and might have a working samsung for sale.. or know someone who does.....

23. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      just a bit more info someone on anotehr board brought up... my power light and the biggger button that opens and closes the drive always burns solid green when its powered... form what other s have sid this rules out the possibility of a motherboard problem and points more towards the disk drive

24. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Yeah. That's right. If the LED stays lit green then it's probably not an HDD problem. Get the DVD-rom and that should fix it.

25. jimbo74

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      on the other board i belong to someone said eventhough i took the xbox apart, that i can still send it in to microsoft to fix it and it will cost me $80 regardless of whats wrong.... anyways i was wondering if i can request that i get a samsung drive in it. and the eprson who responded to my thread there said probably, but i would have to talk to the tech... how do i get in contact with microsoft to arrange this? and also i have heard of microsofts level 1 techs jsut blowing peopel off but the level 2 techs things get escalated and these are the people that are knowledgeable... how do i talfk to one of these people?

26. huskyfan23

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      I assume you'd have to call them up. It's $80 to get them to look at it. Replacing parts is more. I don't even think they use Samsung drives in the newer XBoxs, just buy one off eBay and you should be good to go.