Disable TPMS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable TPMS?

jupiterak

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB V8 4x4
I switched over to studded tires and rims for the winter. I didn't buy another set of TPMS sensors due to the price. Is there a way to turn it off so it doesn't pop up on the message center everytime I start the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on a similar note. My friend has an 2008 mustang GT with TPMS. He bought a set of used factory 17 inch alloys and I bought him the snow tires last month. While I was mounting and ballancing I noticed that one of the rims had the strap but was missing the sensor. I told my friend he was going to get a warning light, and we need to find another sensor soon. For some reason it has yet to give any warning after 1,500 miles. Can anyone explaine? The missing sensor is on the passenger rear position.

tpms

I would also like to disable tpms. OBD2?

You can't disable TPMS since it is a federal regulation as of 2007 to have these systems on all cars. That's why you'll find it very difficult to locate disable instructions on the internet, since that would technically be a violation of Federal law.

It was part of the National Highway Saftey act and it will be in most cars over a gross weight. I dont remember the weight though.

You can't disable TPMS since it is a federal regulation as of 2007 to have these systems on all cars. That's why you'll find it very difficult to locate disable instructions on the internet, since that would technically be a violation of Federal law.
There is a way on most vehicles.

I wanted to do this as well so I didn't have to deal with sensors in my new wheels. I had a friend who works at a dealer bring a scanner tool home to see if he could disable. He dug through every menu he could and could find any option to disable.

I know this is a year old, but you can put all your sensors in a sealed pvc pipe, attach a valve stem, pressurize the pipe to 35lbs, and throw it in your trunk. Some newer sensors need to sense motion to activate so this may or may not work, but I have done it with success

I know this is a year old, but you can put all your sensors in a sealed pvc pipe, attach a valve stem, pressurize the pipe to 35lbs, and throw it in your trunk. Some newer sensors need to sense motion to activate so this may or may not work, but I have done it with success
That's ridiculous, lol.

Correct....Sort of...Federal regulations said all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007 must be fitted with TPMS. Well federal regulations also require that all vehicles be fitted with emissions equipment. This stops NO ONE from modifying their exhaust, taking catalytic converters off, Removing or Deleting DPF on diesels....I see no difference here. And no they are not very difficult to find. Newer fords seem to be easiest since FORSCAN

I'm in the same boat right now.

Used Forscan to modify GEM 726-01-01 to 0000 0000 2F.

Worked, TPMS warnings gone, but unfortunately, so is my keyless entry.

Another Federal mandate that we didn't need. I wonder how much it increased the price of a vehicle.

Another Federal mandate that we didn't need. I wonder how much it increased the price of a vehicle.
I think it's a fairly useful feature. Let's be honest, none of us do a walk around like we should before driving off. I don't think it should be MANDATED but I'm sure it's saved alot of lives. I paid to have new sensors installed when I upgraded wheels. It's well worth it, especially on a lifted vehicle with big mud tires. A high speed blow out could be deadly.

I think it's a fairly useful feature. Let's be honest, none of us do a walk around like we should before driving off. I don't think it should be MANDATED but I'm sure it's saved alot of lives. I paid to have new sensors installed when I upgraded wheels. It's well worth it, especially on a lifted vehicle with big mud tires. A high speed blow out could be deadly.
I drove about 1000 feet in my 1997 one morning because I didn’t realize I had a flat from over night. Can’t do that with my 2010 lol

TPMS is not required in Canada, it is legal here to disable it. but I don't know how, LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back