1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

disabling ABS when offroading

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by mountaineerbeast, June 20, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. mountaineerbeast

mountaineerbeast Active Member

City, State:
    Socorro, NM
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    97 Mountaineer
    To my knowledge you don't want to have abs when offroading because when the tires lock up, dirt will pile up in front of the tires and slow your suv or truck down.

So with that in mind should would it be safe to disable the ABS when i'm off road by taking the ABS fuse out?

And if it's safe then has anybody every installed a switch to turn it off?

any information would be greatly appreciated

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. unclemeat

unclemeat Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Richmond, VA
    91 sport
    I have discoverd another problem with offroading with ABS. When my 04 Ranger fails to climb a steep slope, and I have to back down, the ABS does not want to let me lock up the brakes and stop and ease down. The brakes go to the ABS ode and down I go.

Of course my clutch is worn out, so that is also a problem, but backing down a steep rocky slope in ABS mode is not much fun. I ereally need to do an override switch. It would be nice to find a kit that would reset after restarting the engine. But I dont think that exists. I guess I will just have to fix the clutch and maybe install and override switch.

4. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    I just unplug one side from the pigtail connector to disable ABS. Easy breezy. Just remember to plug it back in after wheeling.

We Support Our Troops!