Disabling Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module for HID Headlights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disabling Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module for HID Headlights

Aeromax

Reaction score
City, State
Moose Jaw, SK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4.0L 4x4
Hi everyone,

I need to disable the DRL module so the headlights don't turn on seconds before the engine starts. Extra, stable power is needed for my new HID 35W 5000K kit.

The engine needs to be started before turning on the headlights otherwise, a ballast safety engages and one or both (in my case one) headlights turn off.

So I need complete control and responsibility for turning on the headlights.

I've checked the 1994 Ford Explorer XLT manual and the under dash fuse panel contains a 15 amp fuse for not only the DRL module but including other essentials such as the back-up lamps and turn lamps... So I can't take that out!

The power distribution box, I couldn't find any that was for the DRL alone.

Soooo... Where abouts do I find the actual relay or whatever to disconnect?

Thank you for any assistance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solved

The DRL Module located on the front, left side of the engine bay (black (looks like a heatsink)) just need to be unplugged. DUH, I know. Anyway, the lighting is GREAT. Now it just needs to be properly aligned.

Good to hear you got it figured out. Are you just in the factory housings? What colour temp did you go with?

I wonder if you set the parking brake it would turn off the DRL? Some cars work that way. I can't remember if the Ex's do or not. If it does you could shoot a ground signal to the wire that grounds out when the brake is set.

Update

ipb051.jpg

Do NOT go higher then HID 35 WATTS (will melt headlight housing).

Double or better yet, triple check to ensure the bulb is securely connected.

My left one wasn't and it melted the housing so I'm off tonight to pick up a new one.

Has anyone tried HIDs on their Explorer? It is very bright, recommend only using during the day, dawn, off-roading and grid roads. City driving can be too intense unless you have changed your refractors to projectors.

Good to hear you got it figured out. Are you just in the factory housings? What colour temp did you go with?

Wanted 6000K but ended up with 5000K (crystal white).

I will post comparison shots between silverstar ZXE bulbs and HID 5000K.

I just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT. If I disconnect the DRL module does it cause a fault or send an alert or anything?

I just bought a 2013 Explorer XLT. If I disconnect the DRL module does it cause a fault or send an alert or anything?

You may want to move your post to the 2013 Explorer section. This is the 1st gen (91-94) section.

I can't speak for a 2013 Explorer. My 2012 VW Golf R has DRL's, and if they are disconnected it reports a "bulb out" error in the MFD, and I assume many modern vehicles are similar. On a VW, you can eliminate the "bulb out" error message using an aftermarket program called VAG-COM. Ford may have something similar in the aftermarket, or at worst, a dealership may be able to do it. The 4th or 5th or whatever Gen forum guys may know.

You may want to move your post to the 2013 Explorer section. This is the 1st gen (91-94) section.

I can't speak for a 2013 Explorer. My 2012 VW Golf R has DRL's, and if they are disconnected it reports a "bulb out" error in the MFD, and I assume many modern vehicles are similar. On a VW, you can eliminate the "bulb out" error message using an aftermarket program called VAG-COM. Ford may have something similar in the aftermarket, or at worst, a dealership may be able to do it. The 4th or 5th or whatever Gen forum guys may know.

Sorry, search came up with this thread.

Back