• Register Today It's free!

Disappointed with AutoXray.

BradE.

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Has anyone else had bad experiences with AutoXray?

I purchased the OBD II scanner for my use, I am really disappointed with it. It only reads engine codes (no ABS, AirBag or Tranny), but I knew that before hand. But, the O2 tests still don't work on my 97 Explorer or 95 Town Car. There are also problems with Monitor Mode and Capture Mode on both vehicles.

I sent 3 e-mail's to their tech "support" (yeah right :rolleyes: ) and they never responded to any of them. Finally I called them, basically the only thing they told me was to load the newest version of the software (version 2.13). I did that, still does not work on O2 and other functions. :mad:

On my second call I informed them the problem was not fixed and I was told I would need to upgrade to Ford Enhanced, another $50 and then it still might not work on the O2 tests. I was not spend another $50, I already have $229 in this thing and I am not putting more $$$$ in it.

As a test, and to make sure it wasn't the car and I wasn't nuts, I called a buddy of mine with a Snap-On MT2500 and he tried in on both cars and it worked perfectly. Displayed all information including O2 tests and worked fine in Capture mode. No glitches anywhere.

I am the only with these problems? Thier software seems to be filled with bugs and customer service is pretty poor. I think I am sending this thing back and will invest in a different scan tool. In the end I guess you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

O.K., off my soapbox. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear your difficulties. I have had just the oposite.

My unit does all the things you rs doesn't. I have had excellent support from the company.

I do have the enhanced version, but just recently got it.

Yes, the AutoXray has problems on '96, '97 & '98 Explorers. They are aware of the problems. They have been using my '97 for troubleshooting to try and get the issues worked out. The issues stem from Ford's non standard way they are putting things on the data bus and the processor they are using. Ford supposedly corrected the issues and since Al's works correctly, Ford probably corrected them with the '99 model. They want to schedule me to drop my Explorer back off at their facility, but they have been devoting so much of their resources into OBD-III that they haven't had a chance to get it in yet. The O2 tests do not work on my '97 either, however the Enhanced Ford support will let you monitor all of your O2 sensor voltages and whether or not you heaters are on or off. Your fuel trims will also work properly in the enhanced mode, something that doesn't happen in the Generic mode. With the enhanced upgrade, instead of the 23 parameters you have in Generic mode (1/3 of which don't work anyway), you'll get about 65 parameters, most of which do work. The President of AutoXray had them upgrade my scanner to Enhanced support at no charge for the use of my Explorer, however I would have gladly paid anyway since it made my scanner much more useful than it was before. If you decide to keep your scanner, the upgrade is worth the moeny. I can see your point though in wanting to get a different scanner though. If you do and find one that gets you everything you are looking for at a price similar to the AutoXray, let me know. I might reconsider my purchase since I have been dealing with these issues for 2 1/2 years now. They have gotten much better though. When I first got my scanner, it was extremely limited in what would work and was full of bugs. Now at least I find it useful. I will print out your message and stop by their plant today and talk to the President if he's available.

I was unaware of these problems. The only Ford I have used it on is my '99 Explorer.

Robert,

It's good to know I'm not the only one with trouble. ;)

The O2 problem isn't limited to Explorers either. The tests don't work on my 1995 Town Car either. The problem is AutoXray does not have a Ford setting for 1995 compliant vehicles, I either have to configure it for a 96 or just in Generic mode. :( My buddy tried his Snap-on on the Town Car and it read everything fine, but the Snap-On has a setting for 1995 OBD II vehicles because it runs on a VIN based program.

The bad part is finding a scanner that's not super expensive. I would like something that reads Engine, ABS, AirBay and Tranny codes. Most of the scanners that read them all are out of my price range. My buddys Snap-On was over $3,000 new with all the software. :(

I have been looking at www.obd-2.com scanner. You need a laptop though. I don't know if it reads Tranny, ABS or AirBag codes, but you can download all the software for GM, Ford, Toyota, Land Rover, etc enhanced features free of charge. They also have a 25% off student discount, and if you own a different scan tool you get 25% off as well. I didn't want to use a PC based scanner, but it looks like unless I want to spend a ton of $$$ I don't have a choice. I am going to send them an e-mail about the Tranny, ABS and AirBag codes and I will post their response.

:redexp:

UPDATE: I finally just returned the AutoXray. It didn't even perform half of the "generic" functions on my 97 Explorer. I am currently looking into other models, in including scanners from Alex Peper, Snap-On and OTC.

If any of you guys have a 96-98 Explorer and are considering an AutoXray you might want to look else where.

Next Tuesday I may buy the Snap-on scanner . I was thinking of the Diagtek one or Autoxray but Diagtek only supports Ford and I don't want bugs from the Xray . Snap On has the lesser priced scanner on sale right now for $650.00 in my area . If I can come up with 300 bucks to put down on it by next Tuesday Ill buy it :)

I could put 100 down but that would make my payments 50 a week , which the wife said forget it to :(

A Snap-On for $650? Is it used? What model? Perhaps it's the new "Microscan" tool they came out with.

The Snap-On scanner I was referring to is the MT2500 (The big daddy :D ), which cost about $2,500 + any additional software. It can get to the $3,500 range pretty easily.

Back