Disc brake conversion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disc brake conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ll ask it again-
Have you personally driven both systems?
I am talking specifically about heavy trucks carrying liquid loads.
Was not talking about airplanes and space shuttles

Heavy truck OEMs have only offered air discs for a relatively short time.

I've driven both systems, I liked air disc from an inspection point of view. CHP marked disc brakes where the push rod measurements would have gone on the form.

Well on the Petes I worked on/drove with air discs, you had to pull the wheel off to inspect the pads. Whereas we would pull the dust covers off the drums so you could just visually inspect the shoes which made it easier.
But I think we were getting almost 90k miles out of a set of air disc brake pads.
Never would get that kind of mileage with drums

Turbos and brake shoes last me over 500k miles. I had a 2001 freightliner FLD with a 60 series detroit. I got 1.7 million miles out of the truck before I sold it. Only engine work done was to replace the head gasket at 1 million miles. Clutch went out at 1.4 million miles. Christmas eve one year, I was in half moon bay, ca and lost the parking valve on the dash. I was able to put bolts in each brake can and drive to phoenix with the front axle brakes. Not a single mechanic would come out to work on it.

As early as twenty years ago, air disc brakes were widely used throughout Europe for all wheel positions. Haldex has been a significant supplier of air disc brakes to this established market producing more than 1.7 million trailer air disc brakes.

In the mid 90´s a technology shift took place in EU on brake systems. Driven by the truck market, and Daimler in particular, an Electronic Brake System (EBS) replaced the former Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS). At the same time wheel-end technology shifted from drum brake to disc brakes (ADB). The driving forces for these changes were mainly improved braking performance utilized by better control of brake forces (EBS) and a more stable braking performance over the wheel end temperature range and lower hysteresis (ADB). Over a time period of about five years the EU truck and trailer industry shifted from ABS w/drum to EBS w/ADB and in early 2000 approximately 70% of the market had adopted these new technologies.
==========================

Per usual we are behind the times.

Well, I will say one thing since we are kind of all over the place on this thread (which is cool and just fine with me):

Where I am, we have sand and salt all winter, and I have a long sandy access road, so a lot of sand gets up in the chassis in the summer. Between the two, I get two negatives on drum brakes:

First, due to corrosion, it can be incredibly difficult to get a brake drum off, even if it has only been on for a year. I don't have to do that with rotors unless I ruin them somehow. Second, that grit can get in the drum, always a little, sometimes a lot depending on the design. This raises all kinds of issues with things like adjusters and just plain grit getting between the shoes and the drum. I'll take discs all around when I can.

Turbos and brake shoes last me over 500k miles. I had a 2001 freightliner FLD with a 60 series detroit. I got 1.7 million miles out of the truck before I sold it. Only engine work done was to replace the head gasket at 1 million miles. Clutch went out at 1.4 million miles. Christmas eve one year, I was in half moon bay, ca and lost the parking valve on the dash. I was able to put bolts in each brake can and drive to phoenix with the front axle brakes. Not a single mechanic would come out to work on it.

I have had to cage the brakes on many trucks and drive them, it’s great just don’t forget to chock the wheels when you get out lol

As early as twenty years ago, air disc brakes were widely used throughout Europe for all wheel positions. Haldex has been a significant supplier of air disc brakes to this established market producing more than 1.7 million trailer air disc brakes.

In the mid 90´s a technology shift took place in EU on brake systems. Driven by the truck market, and Daimler in particular, an Electronic Brake System (EBS) replaced the former Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS). At the same time wheel-end technology shifted from drum brake to disc brakes (ADB). The driving forces for these changes were mainly improved braking performance utilized by better control of brake forces (EBS) and a more stable braking performance over the wheel end temperature range and lower hysteresis (ADB). Over a time period of about five years the EU truck and trailer industry shifted from ABS w/drum to EBS w/ADB and in early 2000 approximately 70% of the market had adopted these new technologies.
==========================

Per usual we are behind the times.

Another copypasta?
Europe is not the USA
Their trucks are much smaller and make shorter trips
Not even a valid comparison imho

What does this have to do with a 1st Generation Explorer?

I thought the discussion changed directions to discs vs drums
Was just saying drums are not as useless as everyone thinks

You can delete my posts if they are offensive or inappropriate

thanks

Relax, not offensive. I was trying to get the thread back on track, then @Rick ruined it for all eternity. Its funny how one post can completely change the direction of a thread. One post said to not change anything, and that started all this.

The drums I really remember bringing the suck were the four that came on my 1968 SS El Camino. 375HP and drum brakes. Went like hell, couldn't stop for nothing.

Drum brakes were always fun in the rain. Back in the 70s when everything had drum brakes I remember driving through large puddles, hitting the brakes and having no brakes at all.

Another copypasta?

What's the matter? You don't like to read? Or you just like to deal with anecdotal info and not facts?

What's the matter? You don't like to read? Or you just like to deal with anecdotal info and not facts?

haha
Copy + paste doesn’t = facts but
OK
I am speaking from my personal experience tho
Can’t copy and paste that

Ford didnt make a D35 TTB 4.10 front diff?????

I list 3.27-4.56 as factory options for the D35 ttb? I know 4.56 is very rare but I thought some 4.1 did leave the factory?

Its only MONEY!!

Ford Absolutely offered the D35 4:10 stock! I swapped in a stock 4:10 front pumpkin and a 2nd gen 8.8, into the 1994 Explorer years & years ago. Even did the C-clip eliminator mod, & threw in a locker to boot. Safe to say it does indeed work.

Plenty of pictures documenting this swap in the Pugly thread, linked in my Signature.

I am speaking from my personal experience tho

Anecdotal evidence.

Here's another "cut and paste"

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes: evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Absolutely offered the D35 4:10 stock! I swapped in a stock 4:10 front pumpkin and a 2nd gen 8.8, into the 1994 Explorer years & years ago. Even did the C-clip eliminator mod, & threw in a locker to boot. Safe to say it does indeed work.

Plenty of pictures documenting this swap in the Pugly thread, linked in my Signature.
WORD UP!!

Word up! - Google Search

Yes I have been waiting since 1986 to finally use that phrase..... Thanks to Cameo all us white kids always wondered when we would be able to say "word up!" and use it appropriately!

I knew they had 4.1 from the factory heck I even have a 4.56 diff which I believe is factory ...in Colorado 4.1 was more common actually, even for the old TTB trucks. Something about mountains and high altitude that had people like my dad ordering the 4.10 diffs from the dealer

now back to drums vs discs................... elevators and escalators still use a drum style brake with huge shoes just FYI more people travel in elevators and escalators every day then your trucks could ever imagine :) okay okay not a fair comparison, but disc brakes have not made their way into vertical transportation YET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back