Solved - Discarding old catalytic converter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Discarding old catalytic converter

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Kesp4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Replaced the OEM converter with a Walker CALCAT. I’ve got the old converter cut into two pieces but I’m unsure of how to dispose of these things. Anyone know? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd contact my local waste disposal site and see what they have to say. Lacking that, I would bag the parts and put it in my waste site heavy metal bin. There is value in it, but probably not enough to pay for shipping, and I didn't find anyone buying from individuals in my brief search.

Look up online catalytic converter recycling. Cats contain precious metals and are worth money.

Use cat converters from a 94 are worth about $35+ each....sell them to a cat converter recycler you can find the local metal yards or check your local craigslist for private buyers many times they will come to you

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like Rockaway Recycling in NJ purchases them, but I need to text them for a quote. If it's more of a hassle than its worth or the price isn't enough to justify shipping, I'll probably let a local muffler shop have them or toss them in my garbage can. Thanks again!

yikes
There is lots of palladium inside those cat converters...pretty pricey rare metal
Not sure you want that in your garbage can / local dump
I would post them up for free on your local CL or just set them outside and post them for free...they will be gone very quickly
People make alot of $$$ recycling used cat converters...

Explorer cats are worth $48 each out here right now and there should be two of them there. Take em to the scrap yard... no reason to throw away a hundred dollar bill!

Definitely recycle them. I got $90 each for the secondary cats from an Explorer and Ranger.

yup palladium and platinum prices go up and down.... I have stacks of converters I wait until the market is up then call my buyer....

Wow didn't realize they were as valuable as that. I will post up the estimate that I get from the NJ place since it is much more convenient for me to ship these off than to go visit a scrapyard right now. If I don't dig the price than I'll probably drive over to one of those places in the valley and recycle it. Thanks for all the help. This place is always top notch with the assistance

You may have to shop around a bit. Like I said I am consistently getting $48 each at one place... I took one across town to the other recycler and they offered me $14 for BOTH and I had to wait 30 minutes for someone to identify what type they were.

Back