Disconnecting Front Drive Shaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disconnecting Front Drive Shaft

texican

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
I posted yesterday about replacing a F77A 7A 195 Ga transfer case with a F57A 7A 195 CA transfer case. They seem to be the same except for the connection to the front drive shaft. If they are in fact the same, can I replace the old GA with the new CA and just pull the front drive shaft out? I know this would eliminate the possibility of 4WD but are there any other dangers or concerns? I've read that, with other 4x4 trucks, if you disconnect the front drive shaft you just have to remember to use the park brake every time you park.... that doesn't necessarily make that much sense to me (but I'm not much of a car guy)... is this true?

thanks for the help guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it will show trouble codes but otherwise it might work. Personally I'd open the case and swap the front output shaft.

I think it will show trouble codes but otherwise it might work. Personally I'd open the case and swap the front output shaft.

Thanks DrDoom.... is swaping the output shaft definitely doable? The mechanics here are saying they don't think it's possible because the new case has a yoke held on by a nut and the old one has a flange with no nut in the center... of course they were speaking spanish so it was difficult to argue with them although I thought it may be possible. I know this is a pretty obscure topic, but are there other threads about this anywhere?

Thanks again

TeX I don't know of a specific thread, but the Borg Warner 4405 rebuild diary has a ton of info and pics. It's been a while since I have been in one, but if I remember correctly, use a 30mm socket to pull the output. Then strip the electrical, and disconnecting the brown wire as in the diary. Then open it carefully, pulling it down til the chain and sprockets lift out. Then pull the external circlip that holds the front output shaft in.

I've read that, with other 4x4 trucks, if you disconnect the front drive shaft you just have to remember to use the park brake every time you park.... that doesn't necessarily make that much sense to me (but I'm not much of a car guy)... is this true?
That applies to AWD models, not 4x4.
4x4 connects the front and rear axle solidly (well, with some clutch plates).

AWD puts a differential between them. Differential equipped with Limited Slip (Vascous Coupler).
Driving an AWD without front shaft engages the VC all the time and permanently damages it (becomes solidified).

I am doing a front drive shaft removal rite now. So when you say AWD your not refering to the models with the 4X4 Auto selector:scratch:, are you?

No, AWD don't have any button. They are all the time "connected".

Thanks for clarifying that for me Sonic. My 03 EX has the 4X4 range selector, so I'm good on the Vascous Coupler issue. I removed the front drive shaft today, and went on a road trip driving around 100miles. As of now there are no issues. I'm hoping for a slight fuel mileage increase. we will see.

'''''''''

Let us know how that works out for ya lol

I'm hoping for a slight fuel mileage increase. we will see.

You won't. Losses in drivetrain friction are minimal. What gets the Explorer to have low MPG (besides the engine fan, AC and oil pump) are the losses associated with the air resistance at over 60mpg (brick shape) and losses in braking/accelerating in city driving.
The energy loss in a driveshaft is negligible. You still have the front left axle spinning the differential (disconnect is only on right side).

Let us know how that works out for ya lol

Lol might as well swap it for a Focus if you're worried about gas mileage and going to disable the 4wd

Bill

Lol might as well swap it for a Focus if you're worried about gas mileage and going to disable the 4wd

Bill

HaHa funny guys, should of been comedians. Since when have people stopped experimenting with stuff? I am looking at any advantage I can get by doing this. L=ike sonic stated, there should not be any mileage increase per say. while looking at the laws of physics and calculating the resistance of a part or parts in motion, the outcome leans toward a 0 to 1 percent increase in mileage. Since my last post I have put about 1000 miles on my EX with no DS. I cant really say I have noticed any mileage increase, but I do notice that when on the interstate the transmission does not shift out of OD as frequently. It is a very noticeable difference. Before removing the DS, every little incline would cause a downshift or the converter would unlock very easily. So somewhere in the physics of the DS removal something has changed for the better. Oh yeah, Bill, I got your Focus rite here. :mattmoon: lol.

Chad D.

Chad what year are you working on, and is it control trac? I am just curious as to what's going on electrically in terms of the speed sensors and TOD. In theory, a 4405 case would be cycling the clutch pack, but maybe I am thinking of earlier models.

Doom, it's a 03

Back